Fish tank in the elements?

Grandcandy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2012
Western Kentucky
Hey guys! Not completely sure this is in the right forum, but I'm not sure where exactly it would go.. Figured General would make the most sense. Anyway, to the question. I have a 75 gallon, black trim aquarium that was left outside on the porch (roofed, but no walls) over the winter. I believe it is a marineland, heat tempered, all that stuff. The problem is, we had a crazy winter. Lots of snow, lots of cold. At one point, the porch was covered with around a foot of snow that sat for a week or two. The tank was on its side, so if there was any water after the snow melted, it wasn't much. I washed it today, and I didn't notice any cracks within the glass or seals. The black trim was cracked in two places, one on the top trim, one on the bottom. I plan on trying to leak test it, if the weather permits. My questions are:

1) Could the cold weather and snow have damaged the glass or seals?
2) Will the cracked trim hurt the tank?
3) Will it be okay to set back up in my bedroom after we finish moving?
and,
4) How do I appropriately leak test it? I don't have anywhere flat and enclosed to perform the test. My porch has a roof, but if it does rain or get windy, things can and will blow onto the porch. The weather looks good for the next few days, but things change quickly. Is there a way to do it faster than three days?

Sorry for so much information and so many questions. Any help is truly appreciated!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The outer rim act like the tank skeleton, if the rim cracked I wouldn't do any leak test cause it can break the glass. Also, you would need a proper even flat place for the test.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes to#1, yes to#2,no to#3 trim must be replaced, and if the porch is the only level leak testing area then you would have to wait for a good day without wind or rain, but please replace top, and bottom trim.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've read many horror storries here about seals failing from being stored even in garages for too long, so a tank exposed to the elements sounds like it could fail at anytime for any reason... Especially along the seams...

P.S not saying trash the tank necessarily, but would re-seal and re-brace before using...

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I recently set up a tank that has sat empty for several years, over five years. To your other questions; I can say I had a tank from the 1960's that had a painted iron frame. After a nunmer of years the external iron frame rusted away. By then silicone had arrived.

The tar that was used back then had hardened to the point of leaking. I lined the inside seams with silicone and used the tank that way for a number of years with no external frame at all. It was a 20 gallon long so not as much pressure as your larger tank. I also had by that time begun using a sheet of plywood under my tanks as I think this helps keep the glass away from my metal stands.

I would give it a try at the least. If you do not want to try to replace the plastic frame, then perhaps some epoxy could fill in the cracks. The two part type that comes in a putty like form might be the easiest to use.

The tank should be given a long test fill. My thinking would be a week or two before setting it up inside a house. I had a 55 let go on a wooden floor andthat was quite a mess along with damage.

Good luck

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My current feeder tank is a sixty gallon made without a crossbrace.It sat uncovered in my neighbors back yard for a number of years before it was handed over to me.I've had no problems out of it but it's framing is completely intact.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store