Finally got myself a VATF

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
That's great. I always thought a varied diet is best anyway. It's just that mine for some reason didn't like to see new foods. So I ended up sticking with frozen/thawed whole fish.
Thank you.
Due to some recent turn of events, I have ended up with 2 more VATFs so I have 3 ATFs currently. The new guys are definitely VATFs but this guy looks more like a FATF... What do you guys think?

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Pulled out my SLR and was able to get a close up pic of this guy :). He hasn't eaten much in the last couple of days, I'm hoping that its just one of those "meh, I don't wanna eat today" days...
DSC_0006.jpg

Last edited:

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
What's on his lip? Maybe it's irritating him?
Chimple. they get that from swimming against the glass.
^ yeah... I don't think there is a way to get rid of that is there...? Btw Chicxulub, you still think this guy is a VATF? I've been thinking he is a FATF lately mainly because he is around 5.5" and I don't see red or yellow on his tail fin. I would love for him to be a FATF lol, I can house him in a 180 for life if he is haha :).

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
With super clean water, it may go away on its own. If that doesn't work, it'll take surgery, which is generally frowned upon.

I still think it's probably a VATF, though I reserve the right to change my opinion when it gets a bit bigger. It looks washed out because of the bare white wall behind the tank, and I'll wager you have hiim over a light substrate, too. Black out the background and put a dark substrate under him and watch his colors pop.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
With super clean water, it may go away on its own. If that doesn't work, it'll take surgery, which is generally frowned upon.

I still think it's probably a VATF, though I reserve the right to change my opinion when it gets a bit bigger. It looks washed out because of the bare white wall behind the tank, and I'll wager you have hiim over a light substrate, too. Black out the background and put a dark substrate under him and watch his colors pop.
I doubt I can do super clean water because I can't seem to get the nitrates below 10ppm and as for surgery, I don't think Ill get that done haha. Either case I'm not too worried...

I mean, I play a lot of guitar and I have callus on my finger tips which makes my one hand's fingers look a little bigger than the other similarly, this guy has callus on is lip because he is constantly swimming against the glass lol!

As for the light background, its just the trim of the back wall the main tank is against (about 12" in width). This guy is in a growout in the stand of my main tank :). There is no substrate cause its bare bottom. Either case, F or V atf I'll be content with providing a good enough housing / care for this guy.

Ok, thanks, I hope it goes away for you
Thank you buddy :).

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I was going to create another thread but I figured I'll keep all of my ATF related posts right here :).

About three weeks ago, I had a mass NTT extinction which resulted in the deaths of 3 of my biggest NTTs (for no apparent reason 1 10", 1 8" and 1 7") which led me into a depression and I ended up selling my remaining NTTs and focusing on ATFs only.

TL;DR, I ended up with 2 more VATFs, 1 is the same size as the little guy you all have come to know and the other one is a solid 8". Redid the decor in my main tank to make it more ATF friendly and here is the outcome (the two little tanks at the bottom currently house the smaller ATFs). There will be some moving the fishes around in the next month or so because I want to level my main tank. I'm setting up a 135 and I plan on housing all the bigger fish in there temporarily, 1 of the smaller ATF in that tank's sump and another in its current tank but in a different location.

Here is the photo of the big guy:
DSC_0008.jpg

Here is the photo of the other little guy, he's a little skinny cause he was on a strict feeder diet till I got him (now eats shrimp!):
IMG_5848.jpg

My ATF friendly main tank, the powerhead on the left is now replaced by a bigger stronger one:
IMG_0658.jpeg

All of them in one pic:
IMG_5938.jpg

But the sad thing is that I doubt I can house all of them together :( because I don't have that big of a tank. So, if all goes well there will be a day when Ill have to decide which one I'll be selling :(...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store