Fishing Season 2k15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Best weekend of fishing yet this year, anywhere! We trolled for Steelhead for about 4 hours Saturday evening (after I quite painfully discovered that I couldn't do my morning wreck dives because of what I think is a sinus infection that hurt like heck at 18 feet!) and we got 3 nice fish. 2 Steelhead (24" 6.5 lbs and 28" 9 lbs !) plus a bonus walleye (27" 8 lbs) on a spoon with a 6 foot leader trolled almost 3 mph LOL. Today we started the morning bay fishing but we only got 2 perch and a drum so headed out to the same spot to troll again (about 12 miles offshore). We got 4 awesome steelhead today (all 24-26" and 6-7 lbs) plus a got a bonus dink black crappie at the marina. Great weekend of fishing and hoping the next one is even better!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Really been slacking on fishing and posting pics but I finally have something half decent to post. Had the trout itch really bad and luckily my uncle had a spot in NEPA where the water stays high 50s-low 60s year round so figured I would give it a try. Took about an hour to find a hole that held fish but my first fish of the day and my first on my new St croix trout series rod was a nice male native brookie. My best one to date at around 12" and a nice hook jaw. I've been trying to catch one of this size, native, and make for awhile and finally paid off. As for the rest of the day blanked on other natives but hooked close to 20-25 rainbows in around 4 hours of fishing. Found fish in about a 75 yard span of holes and hit that all afternoon.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Both were on Baker crankbaits, a friend of the guide makes them himself. He was nice enough to give me one in the perch color though so maybe I can troll up a few in the bay in Erie :). We were casting with jerkbaits and swimbaits that he makes himself too so I'll be ordering a few of those after I invest in a casting rod for Musky. Yeah I know you're not supposed to use grips but that's how he picks everything up under 40" (ones bigger than that he holds by the tail and gills) and he was skeptical about letting me just pick up a big toothy fish like that, probably just a liability thing since they've got no different teeth than our walleye in erie haha.

View attachment 1136829
Yeh, vicius teeth haha. I have gill gripped alot pike and zander. Zander is a bit harder because their is less room in the gill, but pike are not that bad. I think they have about the same teeth as musky. When i do urban fishing, i land all my pike by hand, and im not gonna tell you their are no risks involved. I have gotten one quite deep wound in my little finger, i placed a pike back in the water for release and it instantly swam away, and my littlefinger got stuck. I usually get some small scrapes, but you can use kevlar reinforced gloves coated with rubber, as long as they are thing, still with risk tho. My good friend landed a pike in the gillgrip, with kevlar reinforced gloves and he got a deep wound down hes whole thump, how it happened i dont know, but its 2 months ago and he still doesnt have full movement in hes thump, dont know if theres gonna be permanent damage, its getting better but slowly. He must have had some real sucky kevlar gloves, cause on teeth went straight trough the kevlar reinforced part.

11823974_1682665845301542_783948881_n.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Really been slacking on fishing and posting pics but I finally have something half decent to post. Had the trout itch really bad and luckily my uncle had a spot in NEPA where the water stays high 50s-low 60s year round so figured I would give it a try. Took about an hour to find a hole that held fish but my first fish of the day and my first on my new St croix trout series rod was a nice male native brookie. My best one to date at around 12" and a nice hook jaw. I've been trying to catch one of this size, native, and make for awhile and finally paid off. As for the rest of the day blanked on other natives but hooked close to 20-25 rainbows in around 4 hours of fishing. Found fish in about a 75 yard span of holes and hit that all afternoon.

View attachment 1138424

View attachment 1138425

View attachment 1138426

View attachment 1138427
That brookie is a looker, nice job! You should fish some of the native streams up in Potter, all wild Brooks and scenic beyond belief. Average is 3-10" but I caught my personal best on my favorite stream up there this July at 15" on a 3-weight fly rod. That thing was HUGE for a wild native Brookie and we normally never see them over 12".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store