Some algae and anubias concerns

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Opinions please :)

I've had no problems previously with my anubias, and tank algae; but have recently encountered eaten leaves, roots covered in brown, hair algae; and purple looking fungus/algae near the filter inlet.

In regards to tank inhabitants, the main suspects would either be my colombian ramshorn snails, or silver dollars; though I have never had silver dollars chew anubias in the past.

Regarding algae, I suspect it's been from too much light, and have lowered the levels down; but I also haven't ruled out some sort of nutrient imbalance. In particular I've had to use salt for ich most recently.

Anyway I'd appreciate your thoughts, as I can't identify any single factor for it; ideally I want rid of the brown hair algae from the anubias roots asap!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
You can take it out and wash it with tap water, gently wash off algae on their leaves, roots and buy some octocinlus these tiny algae eater love brown algae.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Your SD's may well be nipping/eating your plants. For algae, increasing water changes for a while may help but it seems anubias grown under higher light conditions seems to show algae growing on leaves....

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'll try washing the algae off under the tap, I love otocinclus; think my Oscar would have a field day though lol.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Oto's are perfect for keeping anubias clean but they can make expensive Oscar appetizers.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Silver Dollars are notorious for nipping plants, Ramshorn snails are not likely because they prefer diatom algae the most but will eat any sort of algae except hair algae. As for the hair algae I always took an old toothbrush and would tangle the hair algae in the bristles and twist it around, but that was until I decided to add a True Siamese Algae eater to the tank, and he went psycho on the tank and cleared out all of the hair algae!!!

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Silver dollars definitely eat anubias, it's a question of when not if.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store