my beardie vomited

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
iv'e had my beardie since january and never had any health problems with her before but for some reason she vomited today. i gave her about 15 superworms this morning she ate them fine. a little while ago i gave her a bath after she had enough time to digest her food. she pooped in the bath as usual but a few minutues ago she went over by her food bowl like she was going to eat turned around then vomited. she eats a mix of bugs and veggies as she should and poops regularly. her tank temps are 85 overall and anywhere from 110 to 118 depending how hot it is in the room its around 75 at night and i use a 75 watt night heat lamp when it gets cold. i plan to take her to the vet if she continues to vomit or shows other signs of illness but my question is should i be worried and rush her to the vet?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Any number of factors could be at work here. I know it's disgusting, but it's very important to thoroughly check any unusual excretions for signs of excessive mucous, blood, parasites, anything out of the ordinary, or if it was just food and nothing else.

I'm not a bearded dragon expert, so perhaps somebody else who knows the species better can chime in here. I'd say keep an eye on her and decide what to do next.

I see this was posted tuesday, it's now friday. Has she eaten since? Did she keep it down?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
well i didnt feed her for two days cuse she just seemed uninterested in eating so i left her alone. everything is normal and she hasnt vomited again when she ate. i think i might have given her too many superworms and she just couldnt digest them all .

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
both posts are correct, low temperatures are 99% responsible for regurgitations, and this time of year most people brumate their reptiles. Regardless of temperature, it could just be the lizard's biological clock telling it "Hey, it's Winter time, you know." I've seen it in many different reptile families across all orders and sub-orders.

Chances are also good you fed it too many mealworms too....they have a hard chitinous out-layer that is difficult to digest. This is why I used Goliath worms or commonly called the Tobacco or Tomato Horn worm, but they are poisonous from the wild and must be purchased through a breeder, in doing so, captive bred Goliaths never touch food that makes them normally toxic, like tomato or tobacco leaves. Even still, I had Beardies regurgitate a big meal of Goliaths despite the lack of chitinous shells. Sometimes it's as simple as eating too much, just like people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store