Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
If you told me that there existed a show stopping, gorgeous Geophagus altifrons - related earth eater so far south as the Rio Parana in Sao Paulo state, I would be inclined to disbelieve you.
That was, in fact, a personal response to my initial import of this species over 3 years ago.

When I first imported a few individuals of this remarkable earth eater and was informed of their origin, I immediately suspected another incidence of artificial/human-aided displacement to this southern location in much the same manner as so many Cichla species populations have become established far from their naturally occurring habitats (kelberi, monoculus, and ocellaris for example).

This may well be the case yet.
It was in 2010 that Lucinda and Lucena (then of the Univ. of Tocantins) and Assis (Univ. of Rio Grande do Sul) published their findings including the description of G. sveni from the upper Rio Tocantins.

Looking at a map, the upper reaches of the Tocantins and upper reaches of Parana are separated by the Serra do Caiapo Mountain range (within which Brazil's capital city, Brasilia, is located).

So without allowing [myself] further speculation of this species as an ecologically converged twin of the Tocantins-described G. sveni, I am [personally] of the opinion that, like so many other cichlids I see collected in the southern Brazil states of Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo, the occurrence of G. sveni in the Parana is not natural.
Be that as it may (or may not - I wasn't there if/when this may or may not have happened ;) ), I am here to share with readers the import, breeding, photos, and availability of this knock out earth eater!

I grew out some of my originally imported stock of this fish from about 3 years ago. I honestly did not know of G. sveni at that time. I only knew they were unique and worth holding onto.
It was probably about 6 months after I was keeping these fish that I learned of G. sveni and furthermore, that I was in possession of this species.

Skip ahead 3 years , and after a couple botched attempts at ovophilous mouthbrooding, the adults finally held onto their larvae long enough for me to strip them (the female was holding them by that time).
The fruits of this spawn are just approaching 1" in length and are, to my knowledge, the first F1 fry to [soon] be shared in the trade.

Meanwhile, more wild individuals were finally collected and imported again to my facility.

With no further ado, here are Geophagus sveni photos.

sveni35.jpg
sveni36.jpg

The above photos of the currently available stock. They are 3.5-4” 85.00 ea, 3 or more @ 80.00 ea.

This is also the size at which I received my originally imported stock years ago.

Here are recently taken photos of my breeders that are now about 7-8" TL.

sveni3.jpg

sveni4.jpg

sveni1.jpg

sveni2.jpg

And just to complete the cycle, below is a photo of a baby I took last week.

sveni.bb.jpg

Keeping this species poses no difficulties if you give them plenty of fresh water, heat (78-82*F works well), and ample space. I would suggest a 50-75 gallon tank for the 3.5-4" sized I have to offer, while a 5-6' / 100-125 gallon tank is best suited for maintaining any quantity of them at maturity.

I have time to share photos of a couple more earth eaters right now. I will try to revisit this thread again to include additional photos recently imported plecos, etc. in the following days.

altif.toc2.jpg

It's not a frequent occurrence to see such large earth eaters of this quality offered as more than an individual for sale here or there.
These F1 adults are 6-6.5" @ 65 ea and 7-8" @ 85 ea.
Talk about instant show fish!

abal3.jpg

abal4.jpg

The upper photo of 4" G. abalios is taken of my current stock. They are 25 ea , 3 or more @ 22 ea.
The lower photo was taken of wild adults I imported and maintained some years ago.

rh.tapaj2.jpg

The above photo is representative of G. 'red head Tapajos' juveniles I have on hand now which measure 1.5-2" @ 10 ea, 5 or more @ 8.50 ea.
Below are photos showing succession from 3" adolescent to 5-6" mature adult.

redheadgeos.jpg

rh.geo.tap.jpg

redhead6.jpg

Below is a photo of F1 stock G. winemilleri that are 3.5-4.5" @ 50 ea, 3 or more @ 45 ea.
This is yet another really sharp, large growing, highly colorful earth eater to enjoy.

Below that is a photo of one of my jumbo wild breeders. They are indeed incredible show cichlids!

wine45.jpg

wine8.jpg
more to follow...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store