Bucktooth tetra with red eared slider?

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
I'd just like to inquire if it might be possible for a single bucktooth tetra to co-exist with a red eared slider in a 500 gallon tank. Thanks in advance

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That's a large tank so maybe. But the turtle might eventually catch it. With such a large tank why not try to make a natural habitat set up for the turtle and add fish and make it natural for them as well.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Ah, okay. I'm actually asking this question on behalf of my nephew who wants to get a couple of fish along with a slider when his tank setup is actually ready. Would you have any recommendations as to the type of fish that might be big enough to deter a turtle or alternatively, swift enough to evade the reptile's attacks? And yes, he and I are planning to make the habitat as natural as possible.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'd say try smaller ones when the turtles larger, quite honestly a turtle naturally goes after fish, it's instinct tells it to, not much is stronger than instinct. It ,any always go for it, what you can try is when it's larger before putting it in the tank get a live bearer community going, and some easy to breed fish. And hope it doesn't eat more than is bred.

Reactions: brown_snake

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
I'd say try smaller ones when the turtles larger, quite honestly a turtle naturally goes after fish, it's instinct tells it to, not much is stronger than instinct. It ,any always go for it, what you can try is when it's larger before putting it in the tank get a live bearer community going, and some easy to breed fish. And hope it doesn't eat more than is bred.
Hey, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with guppies since they breed like rabbits.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Hey, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with guppies since they breed like rabbits.
Platy species they are live breeder too and produce 40~60 babies each time per female and the babies ready to breed after 3 months, to establish a colony you would keep live breeders species until they are over populated then you add the turtle to your tank to thin them out, you will need a very heavy planted tank to avoid the turtle wipe them out.

Reactions: brown_snake

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Platy species they are live breeder too and produce 40~60 babies each time per female and the babies ready to breed after 3 months, to establish a colony you would keep live breeders species until they are over populated then you add the turtle to your tank to thin them out, you will need a very heavy planted tank to avoid the turtle wipe them out.
Will fake plants work? Real plants wouldn't last very long with a turtle.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I also suggest livebearers. You could set up an area where the turtle doesn't get them easily. Bigger fish are easier to catch and turtles are equipped to kill most any bigger species. Fake plants, driftwood, rocks and anything else you can come up with to break line of sight. The parent will also consume the fry, so you want places even where they have trouble getting all the fry. Once the numbers are up they should reproduce fast enough where they can never eat all the fry.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store