Fahaka attacking glass

nickname

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2010
Serbia
Hi all! :)

I got fahaka 5months ago around 1inch and now he is around 6...
He is getting nastier as he is grows.
When i rearrange tank he attacks my hand even if its placed into the tank to my shoulder.
Its funny and I love his behavior.
Problem is attacking glass. He is banging head to catch his reflection and while it was funny at the first time,
now its not really.
I dont wont him to hurt himself.
How can i prevent this, maybe putting plants on my tank side(moss something like that)?
Is there something else...?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
How bigs the tank your puffer is in and what tank mates / decorations have you got in there?
Maybe post up a photo?

nickname

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2010
Serbia
Tank around 200+ gal.
Filtration 2 canisters(eheim and sunsun) and sump...
Water params are fine, im checking that with salifert tests.
There is only one red fish(2 were eaten).
Tank is fully decorated with wood, stones and anubias.
He has plenty of room to play/explore.

But he really like to go and attack his mirror reflection, sometimes he swim from 1/3th of the tank and attack reflection.
Crazy one i tell you :)

On the image, resting between plants(mid section), thats rare occasion.
Sry for bad image quality. its not so much light in person.

IMAG0745.jpg .

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ I guess you answered your question then when you say he likes attacking his reflection... since afterall Fahaka's are known to be quite vicious towards other fish...

So maybe as you said before, try adding more plants on the sides so that its not as likely he'll catch his own reflection?

nickname

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2010
Serbia
Hehe he like to bite plants and chase particle around the tank.
If it becomes more serious Im gonna put more plants on a sides, until that let him play :)

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Do fish see their reflections? I was under the impression this was just an effect we see because we are looking at the side pane of glass through the front panel.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hehe he like to bite plants and chase particle around the tank.
If it becomes more serious Im gonna put more plants on a sides, until that let him play :)
Mine tends to bite holes in my plants as well, although mainly when theres food that dropped on a leaf...

nickname

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2010
Serbia
Do fish see their reflections? I was under the impression this was just an effect we see because we are looking at the side pane of glass through the front panel.
I think reflection is there only if room light is off. If he doesnt chase reflection then its just too crazy fish.
And biting plants happens for fun, when a piece of plant flying its like a toy... :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, i mainly have anubias and java fern in ny fahaka tank so she doesnt seem to normally but them, unless maybe a leaf gets a bit long and blocks her sight from her hiding spot...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store