snail issue

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
ok guys what's the trick, although they aren't yet eating my plants they are eating my angle eggs. so is traps or chemical the best route to go or is there a better solution.

I have never had to deal with these before, the tank has catfish in to so not sure the chemical route will be the best way.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Temp remove your angel then add couple yoyo loach or dwarf puffers, snail will be gone within hours if not a few days depend on the snail populate in your tank. My 150 gallons tank was infested with snail and after I made that tank for my community species...all snail gone within few hours lol

Reactions: Oxymus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Are you sure its the snails eating the eggs? Although snails will normally go for unfertilized, and unprotected eggs, it would seem to me, much more likely to be the catfish would be eating them during the night.
I have plenty of snails in my breeding tanks, and have not had a problem.

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
If the infestation isn't too bad, you can just smash most of them, then get a few assassins to keep the remainder in check. It's worked for me.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
I could be the cats eating them, but the snails are getting the blame lol cause they taking over.

Option of putting puffer in could work, what i have been doing is rotating the moss balls (which seem to attract the snails) in my puffer tank. And i already have a yoyo loach in there (another possible assassin of the eggs)

think i'll move the angels to a breeder tank and cut the feeding schedule down that may encourage the other occupant to eating some of the snails

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Stick a few assassin snails in there shane they'll sort it out , I too have got snails in my jag tank but they never seem to eat any of the eggs so my guess is the catfish too

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
moved the angels into my dwarf tank as im not rushing to restock it, although i have ordered a pair of electric blue rams lol, but they should be fine with the angels for now when they come in.

ill order a few assassins snails, think the wifes puffers are sick of eating them lol.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Once you got snails, you cant get rid of them. If they get to the filter... Snailed forever. All you can do is control the population with a Loach. Yoyo, skunk, Clown...
Been fighting the fight for well over 2 years, I've come to realize I cant win this one.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Only if your tank is large enough(100+ gal), the cichids of the genus Paretroplus from Madagascar are consummate snail eaters (especially menerambo and maculatus IME). Snails are their main food source in nature, and I have seen them clear a tank totally infested with cone snails, in 24 hours. Though they can crush most snails that fit in their mouth, they have a set of teeth that is able to extract snail flesh from even the large snail unable to be crushed.
maculatus

menerambo

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Snails aren't all that bad. I've had plenty of fish spawn, hatch, and fry raised in tanks with snails. This includes breeding angelfish. My plants are also just fine.

It's biodiversity.

Just feed less and they'll remain under control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store