Dwarf Indian Goonch Catfish

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Looks good can you tell if it has eaten yet?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
starting to research - a dwarf size is?

thanks all!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
That's either rutilus or cf. "Indochina".
They're very hard to tell when they're first introduced and stressed without very good and very specific pictures, which we don't have here. In a couple of days when it settles in, it'll be easier to tell.

starting to research - a dwarf size is?

thanks all!
The dwarf goonch don't get over a foot. They're related to the rutilus branch of Bagarius. They look similar to these but have a significantly more blunted head and relatively larger eyes. They've very rare in the hobby, only coming in as contaminants with shipments of generic SE Asia goonch yearlings.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
That's either rutilus or cf. "Indochina".
They're very hard to tell when they're first introduced and stressed without very good and very specific pictures, which we don't have here. In a couple of days when it settles in, it'll be easier to tell.

The dwarf goonch don't get over a foot. They're related to the rutilus branch of Bagarius. They look similar to these but have a significantly more blunted head and relatively larger eyes. They've very rare in the hobby, only coming in as contaminants with shipments of generic SE Asia goonch yearlings.
pro tip!

good to know -

i’m into the sub 3’ fish ?

looks like i need a dwarf or a Suchus

thanks !

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
pro tip!

good to know -

i’m into the sub 3’ fish ?

looks like i need a dwarf or a Suchus

thanks !
Rutilus stays in the suchus size range too. I've heard anecdotes of much larger rutilus, but I've never seen anything I could confirm. The largest ruitlus I've ever seen reliably documented was Aw3s0m3 Aw3s0m3 's. He had it in a 180 with a like sized suchus.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Rutilus stays in the suchus size range too. I've heard anecdotes of much larger rutilus, but I've never seen anything I could confirm. The largest ruitlus I've ever seen reliably documented was Aw3s0m3 Aw3s0m3 's. He had it in a 180 with a like sized suchus.
What size tank would you say is fair for a suchus or rutilus?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
What size tank would you say is fair for a suchus or rutilus?
My idea of what is fair and the general community's is quite different, and I try to not impose my personal opinions onto the community by answering questions like this that could be viewed as authoritative.

That being said, FOR ME, when dealing with adult specimens of either of those species, I would want at least an 8x3 footprint.

They'd probably be fine in smaller, but that's what *I* would do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store