Acid Test On Rocks/Slate

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
So I've read about and performed the acid test on some slate that I want to put into my tanks. Instead of putting a drop on the slate, I dropped a piece of the slate into a jar of Muriatic Acid.
  • Sample #1 fizzed, bubbled and sizzled like crazy.
  • Sample #2 & #3 went in, and created some bubbles. It was more like you could see little bubbles forming on the bottom of the pieces of slate, combining into larger bubbles and then floating to the top.
  • Sample #4 went in and it looked like I had just dropped it into a glass of water, absolutely nothing.
I know #1 is definitely a NO GO. I know #4 would be perfectly fine. What I don't know is about #2 and #3. What do these results mean? Are they okay to use?

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'll try to take pics of the slate tonight.

It is not for cichlids, it will be for plecos so I'm going for a neutral PH. Any ideas on samples 2 & 3?

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
Muriatic acid will bubble and fizz just a bit on any dirty surface FYI. It could just be cleaning the rocks on number 2 and 3. Did you dilute the acid ? Or straight? If straight, I'm shocked 2 and 3 didn't do more then bubble. I think they should be fine for neutral ph tank.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Thanks for the responses. Yea, I put them into straight Muriatic Acid, not diluted at all. Here are some pictures:

Sample 2 Front

Sample 2 Back

Sample 3 Front

Sample 3 Back

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
the test you are speaking of is done with vinegar, few drops and if it does not react good to go. i would not put any stone I have dropped into muriatic acid in my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store