Bluegill x Pumpkinseed size

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
image.jpg I'm convinced this is a bgill x pseed so I was just wondering if any other people have caught them/kept them and if so how big were they? All the pure fish around here stay small but the 2 hybrids I have (green x pseed) have gotten pretty big compared to all the other fish so I was wondering if this one might get big too? I hope so the bigger sunfish mixed with the small ones is a good look I think

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
That's a green hybrid. Pumpkinseed x bluegill do not have bright yellow edge on anal fin. Hybrid vigor gives them to grow fast and bigger.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Agreed with MN, that is a hybrid between a P-Seed and a Green. Note the fin edges as well as the bass-like head shape. I've seen that hybrid up to 8" and that was in a creek full of stunted ones so I'm sure they can get bigger. Biggest Gill X Pseed I've ever caught was pushing 10" in our marina in Lake Erie.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
We need to do experiments. Breed a male green sunfish with a female pumpkinseed. Then breed a male pumpkinseed with a female green sunfish and compare the two. Would it be like a tigon and liger? Or would they be the same pretty much?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Anthony Nolet, hybrids are always variable, even in same batch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store