Just ordered some Nics!

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I was sad to trade in my female convicts today as they are reproducing faster than I can or want to deal with. But it opened up some tank space and that is always fun. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some Nics from the Wet spot.

I ordered 4 to go in with my 2 severum. I am really hoping for a female and I will sell off the others as they grow. Maybe I will keep a pair as they aren't common by me and I could sell the fry opposed to the convicts fry that you cant give away.

I am hoping I can also get some advice. I read some conflicting info.

Temperament: Some say aggressive others say semi aggressive similar to severum temperament.

Growth Rate: I couldn't find anything on growth rate are they sloooow like GT's or faster growing.

Diet: I read they are omnivores do they prefer more veggies or more protein? And are my Anubias Coffeefolia safe?

Tank size: I read 50g for 1 and 100g for a pair. but max size ia 10" Why such a large tank for apair? Mine are going into a 75 for now. If I have to only keep 1 I am ok with that.

PS I will update with pics when I get them Thursday.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Won't a female nic start breeding with the convicts again?
To be completely honest I actually didn't think of that, LOL face palm

The males are actually Honduran Red Points. It is a possibility but not guaranteed given the option I think they would stick to their own kind.

If they do pair off with the HRP I can separate them into another tank. I just didn't want two tanks devoted to convicts/hrps.

The reason I want a female is I like the look better than the male, not for breeding.

Last edited:

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Gotcha. I'm not sure how it will pan out, worst case scenario you have some freaky hybrids. I think they would be more inclined to breed with other nics, but perhaps an ultra dominant male could be more appealing... maybe. If you aren't worried about breeding then you are good, I just figured if breeding was the problem then more breeding my not be the solution. Either way man, nice pick up and with due diligence should be perfectly fine.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have not found nics to be particularly aggressive, or to bother plant like anubias.
I picked some @ 2" nics in May of 2014

by April of 2015 the males were @ 5", females slightly smaller
below a male in 4/15

a trio with 2 females below same month

I feed a mostly spirulina based vegetarian pellets. Once a pair formed, mine have spawned once per month, and I end up quickly saturating the market, and have given most away.

Reactions: lekkiandgas

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Duanes thank you for that info. So they seem to be as prolific as convicts, grreeaat lol. so about 3" in one year so not slow but not super fast either. I typically feed cichlid pellets and alternate algea wafers or flakes. Once or twice a week I feed frozen bloodworms. I will look for a better veggie pellet.

I am glad to hear my anubias wont become a salad.

If I keep a pair in their own tank say 100g and not remove the fry will they keep the numbers down themselves or will they overrun that tank?

Are they as nasty when they breed as convicts and firemouths? what I am asking is will they claim the whole tank when they breed?

again not trying to breed just trying to figure things out.

Maybe I will luck out and get all females.

Last edited:

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Gotcha. I'm not sure how it will pan out, worst case scenario you have some freaky hybrids. I think they would be more inclined to breed with other nics, but perhaps an ultra dominant male could be more appealing... maybe. If you aren't worried about breeding then you are good, I just figured if breeding was the problem then more breeding my not be the solution. Either way man, nice pick up and with due diligence should be perfectly fine.
Actually admitting this makes me feel like "not the sharpest knife in the drawer" but I actually had a HRP x Nic hybrid I lost her this spring I was very upset. It was one of the most beautiful fish I owned IMO but her brothers were uuuuugly! she favored the nic side and had great colors. The others favored the con side with big fat faces looked like a con got beat up by rocky.

All that being said I prefer no breeding.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Mine spawned in a 75gal, and 2 generation of fry grew up together.
I always try to remove remove any other species when a spawn happens or seem eminent, so I cannot speculate on aggression in a community.
Mine have preferred to spawn in caves, or up turned PVC caps.
Their eggs are non adhesive, and change positions day to day.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Your pics so cool. Getting very excited for mine. Thanks for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store