Any dwarf shrimp keepers here?

ApexMonstah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Boston, MA
Hi, any dwarf shrimp keepers here? or planted tank/aquascapers?

It's a pretty niche hobby as far as in the US, much bigger in Taiwan/Japan/Europe, but it's been getting bigger in the US.

dwarf shrimps such as high grade crystal red shrimps, bluebolts, king kongs, pinto, blue mosuras etc

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I keep a colony of CRS in a dedicated 60G tank does that count :)

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I have planted tanks, but one is a work in progress (not yet satisfied with the aquascape, + algae issues; high tech tank), and the other is just a super low tech tank that I dump all my trimmings in... its mostly been taken over by water sprite and java moss at this point. The only shrimp I've ever had were ghost shrimp, though.

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
I'm a little late, but I used to breed shrimp a few years ago. I had a couple 20s as a nursery and growout tank, and then a 75 planted. I was really into it for a while, with selective breeding to try to get a blue rili (they were just on the rise) and SSS CRS. I've since switched over to marine inverts, though... specifically the horseshoe crab :D I am considering setting up a tibee tank, though...

ApexMonstah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Boston, MA
I'm a little late, but I used to breed shrimp a few years ago. I had a couple 20s as a nursery and growout tank, and then a 75 planted. I was really into it for a while, with selective breeding to try to get a blue rili (they were just on the rise) and SSS CRS. I've since switched over to marine inverts, though... specifically the horseshoe crab :D I am considering setting up a tibee tank, though...
I had plenty of tibees that I end up getting pintos and all sorts of new ones like galaxy tigers. There's even more variations nowadays, pricing very high though. One shrimp can even go easily 2k+

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
Pintos are beautiful! And I haven't even heard of Galaxy Tigers haha. It seems like new variations come out faster and faster o_O And yeah, I always thought it could be a cool career to dive into shrimp and get a few different strains to see what kinds of variations I could create... people who discover new variations can make quite a chunk of change...

Do you still keep tibees? Do you have pictures?

ApexMonstah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Boston, MA
Pintos are beautiful! And I haven't even heard of Galaxy Tigers haha. It seems like new variations come out faster and faster o_O And yeah, I always thought it could be a cool career to dive into shrimp and get a few different strains to see what kinds of variations I could create... people who discover new variations can make quite a chunk of change...

Do you still keep tibees? Do you have pictures?
I actually don't, I gave them all up awhile ago. As you get to more rare strains, they require more care. It's crazy how accurate you have to be, GH/KH being on point, stability is most key though, everything should not be intermittent and remain close to the same as possible such as temp, PH, minerals, etc. Everything was done with an automated drip system that kept their tanks really stable with the necessary minerals added in RO/DI water that they needed, they seemed much more happier and breeding. I do have a few pictures.

ApexMonstah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Boston, MA
The best places to buy are from hobbyist and on forums. In local stores they would sell a low grade C crystal red shrimp for like $12 when you could buy a SSS crystal red shrimp for like $5. Do a search and checkout MK-BREED shrimps

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
Oh those were some beautiful shrimp! Love the Blue Bolt and that PRL is amazing! I know what you mean about how sensitive they are -- everything has to be *perfect*.

There are a couple forums I visit on-and-off when I want to look at shrimp and checkout what the newest variations are... and of course, fantasize about setting up a tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store