Golden Severum with unknown disease

Pete Robinson

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2015
Hi All,
My female Golden Severum (confusingly called Graham) has a disease on her head - see photos. I am worried because two weeks ago another smaller Cichlid died of what looked to be the same disease. Both fish developed a red swelling on the side of the head behind the left eye. The swelling seems to have some white tufty bits on the surface. the other cichlid got worse quite quickly after it first became apparent and died after 3 or 4 days.
I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to do!
Many thanks,
Pete

Water quality: (* essential)
*Ammonia: Checked-Ok
*Nitrite: Checked-Ok
Nitrate: Checked-Ok
*pH: Checked-Ok
KH:
GH:
*Temperature: 27

Tank details:
Size: 300 litres
Tank Inhabitants (numbers, sizes ect): Graham+5 blue rainbows+5 other miscellaneous small fish.
How long the tank has been set up: 1 year
New fish or plants added to the tank? Were they quarantined: No new fish or plants since Feb.
Medications used: sera bactopur for 'mouth and fin rot and bacterial infections in freshwater' - I put this in for the last fish and it did not improve matters, although possibly it was too late.

IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Early stages of hex.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
What is "OK" in your perceptive.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Metronidazole is the med of choice. NLS HEX Shield is a good or you can get Metroplex by seachem and treat the tank and use it as a food soak.

Pete Robinson

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2015
Metronidazole is the med of choice. NLS HEX Shield is a good or you can get by seachem and treat the tank and use it as a food soak.
Thanks for the advice. I have just added JBL spirohexol to the tank - the active ingredient here is quoted as 2-amino-5-nitrothiazole, is this the same as your one?
I also have some metronidazole leftover from the dentist (but not sure about the dosage for fish!) He seems to eat it if I stuff it inside bits of food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store