New fish

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Yea, what I have seen has not come and gone that quickly, so we may be dealing with similar symptoms from different causes, or maybe even very different symptoms. I found my issues very hard to capture in a picture, especially early on, so it really is difficult to make any sort of determination from one photo. Hopefully by the time you get home on Sunday there won't be anything to take a picture of, maybe it will heal by then. Although, if you are away from the tank for a few days, the aggression level may be rising as the fish are getting more hungry... Either way, I will be interested to hear what you come home to find.

These are about as close to focused as I can get on this guy, with his messed up then busted then healed weird eye... I still can't get a shot of the smaller fish with the earlier stage, he is too camera shy.

2015-08-29 16.52.07.jpg
2015-08-29 16.52.12-1.jpg

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
The aggression towards a new fish only lasts a day in the tank, I think it's just a dominance thing. Last time I added a fish and left for the weekend it was completely better pretty much. The thing on your fishes eye covers the entire eye the spots on the new fishes eye was only on a portion of it. I'm gone every weekend so I'm also not too worried about them starving and attacking. Two of the new fish were pumpkinseeds to go along with the 3 that were already in there and they're pretty good schooling fish so hopefully they'll be a school when I get back.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Yea, its over the whole eye now, but if I had pictures from earlier, it looked much more like your situation... That was my whole point. This is the best shot I could get of the early stage...
20150829_165513.jpg

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
The other fishes eyes have completely cleared up so those we the results of fighting but the original fish has something like what Brook was talking about. Idk if it had that when I caught it or not I didn't look. It was acting normally when I caught it and by that I mean it went after my worm no problem. It hasn't eaten since I brought it home though since none of the new fish are taking pellets but that's normal. Do you think it'll ever go away or is it permanent? As long as it doesn't spread it doesn't bother me. This one pseed is not worth losing the rest of my fish friends

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I don't think it will spread to other fish, and oddly enough, I was out of town for a couple days and came home to find that my brookie is looking a little better. I didn't think it would go away, but maybe there is still hope? Would still be interested to see a better picture, if you can get one.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I just fed them and turned the lights off. All the fish ate some fresh worms even the new ones! I didn't notice the one with the bad eye so I only think it's one eye. Since I didn't see it maybe it cleared up since Sunday and I haven't noticed. I will take pictures tomorrow after water changes are done.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I don't think it will spread to other fish, and oddly enough, I was out of town for a couple days and came home to find that my brookie is looking a little better. I didn't think it would go away, but maybe there is still hope? Would still be interested to see a better picture, if you can get one.
Since all the pumpkinseeds are about the same size and swimming together now I can't even find the one that had a spot on its eye. All 10 eyes are completely clear so I guess it wasn't what your trout has. Or maybe it is and yours will go away but it seems like it's been that way a long time so idk

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Okay never mind I found him today, they're all the same size so it's hard to tell them apart his eye is still cloudy and this is the best picture I could get image.jpg

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I am beginning to suspect that lighting may play a role in the recovery process... I was out of town for a couple days and left my lights on a very dim setting (and a timer) and when I got home my trout looked a bit better. I know absolutely that I am looking at the correct fish and at the correct eye... I since getting home on Tuesday evening, I have had a series of issues related to lighting, as a result of my own personal stupidity, which have culminated in a 48 hour period of darkness in the tank. I don't even believe it myself, and I fully recognize that my sample size is n=1, but my trout is looking even better yet following the period of darkness. I am thinking about limiting light to an hour or two, just long enough to acclimate and feed each day, in order to see the eye continues to recover as a result. Again, I don't even believe this is possible myself, as a scientist, but it is a correlation that I have observed, and I am willing to give it a shot. If you have the oppotuniay to try it yourself, please let me know how it goes for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store