Small Pond at Home

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Hello All,

It's been a while, but finally getting ready for the second pond at home.
Bit of back-ground and refresh. Living in Thailand, ideal weather for tropical ponds.
Been renovating for the last 5 years on 2 houses with a garden in the middle. Have a small pond there that's now used by Mickey (Red Slider Turtle). From that pond I learned the basics on filter-setup and pond-keeping that I used to build my monster fish pond at work. (see Arapaima Pond thread for that).

So, while doing the terrace in front, I had the left side planned as a nice planted garden eventually, but plans change of course. One of my neighbours (who also donated two beautiful river-fly turtles for my pond at work), still had an Arowana in that tank. With another baby coming, he now asked me to get a new home for it and ready by this coming Sunday..sigh.. The Arowana is about 45-50cm long now. No idea on what type it is. Will find that out Sunday. Seen him only once and sure looked nice. (Silver color).

Changed my calendar and got my contractor in help.
1. Make a platform for the filter that will sit on top of the pond (covering about 50% and thus giving nice shelter for fish under it also.)
2. Dig out the pond to about 90cm deep. Measurements will then come to approx. 150cm at the widest point, 100cm at the smallest, length is about 300cm
Nice volume for the Arowana for now. Future will see another pond that's about 4 meters square, so I have options..
3. Yesterday bought the pump, liner, bio-balls and other supplies to make the filter.
6000 l/h pump, large blue plastic drum with cover and clamp, filter materials and fittings.

Today will hopefully get the liner in and first test filling, start work on the filter itself and then test-running.
With the filter on top, it's a very simple gravity setup and with the pump, strong enough to create some healthy flow to get some muscle on the Aro.

Nothing planned as decoration for now. Just water, a net over it to keep cats out and fish in.

Some Pictures:
IMG_3318.jpg
There was a big piece of concrete that needed removal.

IMG_3319.jpg
Getting closer to finish the digging.

IMG_3320.jpg
View towards the road-side with cover almost done.

Reactions: Jim_Pirarucu

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks Jim.. Had some problems finishing it, lots of sweat and swimming, but managed to finish it this weekend. Couple of pictures first, more later..Was too busy yesterday to make any.

IMG_3324.jpg
Filling up. Holds water finally. The white cover sits on a steel frame.
Estimate 2000 liter water, 6000 l/hr pump, so 3x p/hour turnover.

IMG_3325.jpg
My workbench project had to be delayed a week to get the pond done first.
But the bench came in really handy already. This is during Saturday working on the filter, a 100 litre plastic drum.
Water in at the top through a PVC spray-bar, filter-floss, then lots and lots of bio-balls.
There's a small air-diffuser, home-made at the bottom for aeration of the water.
Then just gravity out through 3 openings at the bottom.

IMG_3326.jpg

And the fish is in! The cover is temporary, need to make a less obtrusive cover.
It was not too difficult moving him. Emptied the tank until 10cm water left.
Then put a wet towel in the water over the fish.
Instantly he calmed down and we could just lift him out and in a container with water from the tank.
After that, on a pickup-truck to my house, 150 meters further down the road and in the pond.

Will still need to see how it will go with eating, he's been on a prawn diet all his life, not too good, but ok, let's see if he gets used to some other food.

The tank and stand he came out was a nice extra. It's 150x50x50cm with build-in overflow filter.
Filled it up and got 25 small Oscars racing around in it now.

Cheers,
Luc

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Looking good Luc,good luck training the aro onto others foods.Keep us posted.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks for the comment K, he has some company now, bunch of small fish. He sure is more active suddenly seeing others swimming around.
Not seen him eating yet, but given the new pond, the move, that's understandable.
Out for business trip so will see him again on Friday morning.
His old owner will likely pass by tonight to see his new home and my wife will check with him on feeding as well.

Overall, he looks ok, noticed his drooping eyes, has always been in a bare tank.. Guess it's permanent by now, but with the dark liner, maybe still some change....

Will keep you guys posted.
Cheers,
Luc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store