jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I use vodka all the time, mostly with ice and olives, my tanks look marvellous after I have used it, so does my wife, my dog, and the world in general. Afterwards I feel terrible, have headaches and nothing looks so good anymore until the next time...am I doing something wrong?

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
I use vodka all the time, mostly with ice and olives, my tanks look marvellous after I have used it, so does my wife, my dog, and the world in general. Afterwards I feel terrible, have headaches and nothing looks so good anymore until the next time...am I doing something wrong?
Seems like you need to be more regular -- try dosing your tank daily and potentially increasing the amount of vodka. That should sustain clarity ;)

But in all seriousness... so people have used this with reefs? I have only ever used it with horseshoe crab systems anywhere from 800-2,000 gallons and no corals or other fish, so I wasn't sure what other people had done with vodka in their aquariums.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Just read the article, interesting - you can use sugar, vinegar or vodka, and even a combination, but vodka is the product of choice?
I have relatively high nitrates due to high stock levels and over feeding (probably) so I'm going to give this a try. To me the dosing levels seems low, so hopefully, even if it doesn't work, no harm will be done....

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
So, with my horseshoe crab tank, I have even taken dosages a bit higher with high nitrate levels. I dosed 9ml per 100 gallons, and that was a doozie... but my water was pristine afterwards. It had been a bit murky, and after a couple days of this relatively high vodka dosing, it was completely crystal clear. And it's good to know that people have had success with this in freshwater too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store