Dwarf cichlids that will prosper in hard water

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I am getting a 3 1/2 ft 45 us gal tank to go under my 180 gal midas tank, both tanks will be on a shared filtration.
I want the bottom tank to be heavily planted with a few dwarf cichlids in there, but my water is 7.8 ph and very hard and all the dwarfs i know off are from black water, does any body know of any that will do well in those conditions.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I think the smaller growing cryptos would do fine in your water,try a pair of:hrp,nanoluteus,myrnae,cutteri or sajica.if u don't want breeding maybe 3 females or males

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with virgil, those would be nice choices although cutteri might get a bit large for such a small tank. Mine easily hit around 7", and were also tall and thick, so a 45 may be a bit cramped for them after a while. My water parameters are also very similar to the ones in the opening post

The HRPs, nanoluteus and mynae would seem to me better suited for a small tank, as might be a pair or trio of Herotilapia multispinossa

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Planted tanks scream Apistogramma to me. A. cacatuoides is a white water species in nature, coming from waters that range 7-8 pH and the captive bred strains are even more hardy.

Laetacara dorsigera is another dwarf species that can handler harder waters.

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Sorry been away for the last few days. Thank you all for the info been very help full. love this site

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store