GT randomness

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Chuck in a school of moss green tiger barbs, some pictus cats, and a convict, and you'll have yourself a tank that'll make others green with envy over your green terror tank.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Firstly, apologies for this posting in frequently asked questions; my phone tends to jump sometimes despite trying to put into general aquarium discussion, I'm very interested in dither ideas, when i put the GT in he immediately attacked my silver dollars, and chased the single tiger barb in there; so he might be a nutcase already.

The plants are anubias, so I've had very little problems with fish touching them :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
P.S I love convicts, but after trying repeatedly to make a convict 'work' with other tank inhabitants, I've given up on them, for the foreseeable future lol

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Here's some thoughts. Most any dithers will work, so long as they'll get big enough where he can't eat them or they are expendable. I'm not sure what your end game goal is, but it will likely be harder to keep cichlids with the gt based on how long he doesn't have any as tank mates. If your goal is a GT centerpiece with a bunch of dithers then you probably don't need to worry about his mean streak. You could pretty easily run male only convict tankmates, a sizeable GT will be able to beat them up just enough that they are like dithers, and the convicts shouldn't have a big problem with the GT if they have a place to hide.

Those anubias make for a very nice display, I am hoping we can see this tank after the anubias has grown for another year and your GT becomes a giant glass banger.

Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Here's some thoughts. Most any dithers will work, so long as they'll get big enough where he can't eat them or they are expendable. I'm not sure what your end game goal is, but it will likely be harder to keep cichlids with the gt based on how long he doesn't have any as tank mates. If your goal is a GT centerpiece with a bunch of dithers then you probably don't need to worry about his mean streak. You could pretty easily run male only convict tankmates, a sizeable GT will be able to beat them up just enough that they are like dithers, and the convicts shouldn't have a big problem with the GT if they have a place to hide.

Those anubias make for a very nice display, I am hoping we can see this tank after the anubias has grown for another year and your GT becomes a giant glass banger.
Yeah I will be giving the dithers some thought, if he doesn't tolerate them; I'm happy with the single GT. With this tank I've chopped and changed a lot with stocking since I got it, basically fumbling about with different stuff to see what I like.

I'm hoping that this'll settle for a good while though, I have a second tank for other projects so ideally I'll have the glass banger in heavily planted tank before long, despite potential slow growth rates.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I think with bigger dithers like SD you don't have to worry about him tolerating them, at least for a while. The damage should be spread between multiple individuals which will keep anything too bad from happening. It might also increase the personality of your GT, he might be good as is. I'm not sure how the hump works, it might only be with other cichlids present, but maybe dithers cause the fish to increase hormone type deal to grow a larger hump.

As a rule of thumb if the GT doesn't cause scale damage or extreme fin damage then he's not doing too much damage, that said if you are happy you probably don't need to rock the boat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store