Tank size

Qtp443

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ive been keeping large angel fish and other tropical fish for years but now I want to start getting into other things. So I was wondering what sized tank would u recommend to keep piranhas.
Also how many is a good number to have in 1 tank.

Thanks

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
That would depend on the type of piranha you'd like to keep.

If you're talking RBP, you'll need a minimum 20 gallons per fish with 5 or more fish in a tank.

If you keep 2, one is likely to pick on the other, if you keep 3, the other 2 will pick on the one. Atleast that's what I've heard.

I have 5 reds in a 120g but because I'd like to give them as much space as I can, I will be upgrading them to a 220+ when they're fully grown.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
*There are only 2 schooling piranhas: RBP and Caribe, RBP is more ready available in any LFS where its legal to own than other Piranha species, Caribe way more aggressive and bigger than RBP.
**Like Souzie said the bigger tank the better and a group of five is minimum (the more the better), also there isn't 100% thing will work out your way, your plans. Good Luck! :)

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
There many species that you can keep solo in smaller 36"-48" tanks like sanchezi, maculatus/RRS, and elongatus. And some solos that require bigger 48"-72"+ tanks like rhombus and manueli.

So tank size depends on what you want to keep.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I've kept a school of Whimples, boring as hell, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store