Need help stocking please!

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
So I just bought a brand new 75 gallon tank. I'm using an Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75 filter. I'm planning on having one Senegal Bichir, one Green Terror, and a group of medium sized schooling fish say 4-5 inches, that will go well with the aggression of a Green Terror. So my question is, will the Senegal Bichir and Green Terror be okay together? And what schooling fish will work best? I was thinking silver dollars.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would up the filtration throw a ac110 on there too. What size would the gt be ? I love me some cichlids but if i had an empty 75 laying around i would just do all polys. Its hard for anyone to tell you it would work. The gt could be laid back or could eventually want the tank to himself.

If you like gts look into acaras very similar in fact i think aequidens metae are much better looking and stay on the smaller side. Jeff rapps usually has small ones

Reactions: Sizzy905

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Would it help if I put the poly and the gt together at like 3 inches? So they get used to each other. And also, if I go all polys like you said, how many would that be?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Just an opinion, but NO to the silver dollars. Ive kept them for years and can say a 75g is small for a medium/lrg schooling fish that darts around like they do. You might look into some Australian Rainbows or Congo Tetras. Get them bigger and start with a smaller GT. If they grow together the GT will likely completely ignore them. Ive done this with a number of larger cichlids and they left the fish alone. As to the bichir any reason for a sen? A bit common and they stay on the smaller side thats all. I would lean toward a delhezi... again just an opinion.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
no one can tell ya if it will work or not. you'll find out for sure when the gt matures. agree with dmd don't put sd's in a 75 gal

im still a rookie when it comes to polys but I would think you could fit 3 to 5 upper jaws in there let some of the more experienced poly members advise you on the amount of polys

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Wouldn't a delhezi get too big for a 75 gallon? And yeah I think I'm gonna drop the silver dollars. Australian rainbows and Congo tetras will eventually turn into lunch won't they?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
a del would be fine in a 75 get the rainbows as big as you can though. if you do an all poly tank I think it would be fun and less stressful. I have polys in a 150 with a pearsei and heterospilus and they totally ignore the polys but they are on the milder side of cichlids. In another tank I had a del and argentea and it last less than and hour del had half his tail ripped off. if it were me I would go all poly or find a real mild cichlid that I liked. Maybe a severum. Im just sick and tired of rehoming fish or playing musical tanks

Reactions: Sizzy905

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
I have a gt with several bichirs. its a bigger tank with bigger bichirs, but the gt ignores the bichirs completely.

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
So I take that it's better to keep the bichir with less aggressive tank mate yes? As long as they're being enough to avoid getting eaten? And one more thing, how are angel fish with bichirs?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
My 3 inch GT proceeded to immediately attack my 5 silver dollars when introduced into my 90 gallon yesterday, if that helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store