How I got into large fish aquarium keeping and still learning

Carol V.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2015
oklahoma
Year ago I bought a Oscar at Petsmart because my husband liked it. I knew it was an aggressive fish.
I didn't realize how big it would get ! Now I have a white Oscar (not sure what correct name for it is)
Also just bought a Jack Dempsey. I'm currently looking for a new aquarium ... 75 gallon I think would be
good but I know for these guys bigger is better - anyone out there that wants to give me some advice
would be great . E-mail is capwhanda@gmail.com

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Its an albino Oscar.

A 75 would be a bit cramped for a typical size Oscar. I would recommend at a minimum, a 120Long (5 foot)

Depending on the personality of your 2 fish, there may be aggression issues later on, so just keep an eye open for that.

Carol V.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2015
oklahoma
Well I can't afford or have space for a 125 gallon tank and its just too much for me to setup. I got the 75 gallon and getting ready to set it up
I don't have the jack demsey anymore - I believe the Oscars were too aggressive for him. Weird thing is the 3 blue gouramis are doing just fine with the Oscars . I am picking up a HOB filter this week and next week hopefully I can get the heater and decorative rock , gravel ect.....
money is just kinda tight right now if you know what I mean lol - can't wait till I have everything setup and the water setup - be a few weeks but its well worth the wait.

Carol V.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2015
oklahoma
I have put my 2 Oscars in their new 75 gal tank after a couple of weeks cycling it.
They eat good but I wonder .. why are they just kinda laying low most of the time . Is it just because its a
new home to them ? They get plenty active when it's eating time lol . I don't think they are sick or anything like that. I checked PH and all that - looks good . Temp at 82 - is that too high ?

numbah84

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Yes it's just being re homed that is causing their behavior. Some of my fish sulk around like that even when I just change the decorations! They should perk up within 1-2 weeks though.

Carol V.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2015
oklahoma
They are up and swimming around now - just great . And the water has cleared up by itself- cycling is going good - check water tonite for PH and all that good stuff :)

Carol V.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2015
oklahoma
RED and GUS are doing good but I am starting to get that algae problem that seems to come around after awhile. Its the algae that is easy to clean off surfaces but its annoying . Thinking about getting a UV sterilizer

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
You could also try a bristlenose pleco. They stay small and, assuming your water parameters aren't the issue, one should be able to keep everything nice and clean. You'll want to find the underlying cause of the algae, though- could just be the fact that you have oscars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store