Slime coat

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
Who else is in the tank? Pure salt from Safeway or anywhere really. Only ingredient is salt, no additives Iunno about pool salt. I've read online it's something like a table spoon per gallon but you'll have to confirm that

plecoking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
Golden State
Thank you for your reply. I Only have a 10cm L190 and a 20cm L025 toghether in an 8x3x2.5 tank with my ray
Will salt help. And what doses is good for ray

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
You need to remove those plecos they have a taste for slime coat and will likely not stop. It will make your ray weak to infections and bacterias

Reactions: harris522

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
I'm a great believer in salt as a remedy for all types of fish including rays but before adding any form of treatment always check the most likely which is often water parameters.
The eyes appear clear which in most cases would rule out an increase in body mucus, I agree with the guys above, this looks like physical damage from another fish, if so seek out the culprit and remove it, the damage is superficial, it will heal without the need for medication.

Reactions: davenmandy

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Has the other ray been biting her?

plecoking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
Golden State
No ray have bitting her. I got 5 pups in a 8x3x2.5 tank. I'm starting to think the culprit is the 20cm L25. I have move him to another tank

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Before reading anyone's post my first thought was those are bites. Doesn't look like burns or any other degenerative issue with discs.

On a side note, not to derail thread or anything, but I am noticing that while rays have pretty decent healing power I feel like they are prone to scarring. Anyone else agree/disagree? I know with bites that get actually taken out of their discs sometimes they don't grow back fully to their natural circle, sometimes they grow a bit more and protrude a little bit. I am noticing the love bites that happened a year ago I can clearly see to this day, not in the sense of damage but discolouration and sometimes small pimple like bumps in the healed areas. Most noticeably 3 months ago I tried to divide my female and she ended up with a scratch about 4 inches across her back trying to sneak under it last minute. Slime coat restored quick and it repaired itself well with no issues, but I can still clearly see the scratch in its entirety because it is a much lighter black almost brown compared to her regular black base. Can't help but think maybe if I added salt or stress coat or something that could have reduced it, but I wonder if that will ever go away (it's minor and you would probably only notice if I told you, but I am a bit OCD/perfectionist so I see it lol).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store