Sump for a 125?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I'm considering trying a wet/dry sump for the first time with my new 125 I'm getting in a few months and running into some issues. After talking with a friend I've come up with idea on how to lower the cons of this set up but it presents more problems and I'm wanting to know y'all's take.

So basically my thought is a gravity syphon as the "over flow" and having a sealed sump. This way if I lose power, the tank won't completely drain into the sump and over flow because gravity won't pressurize the sump. Next problem... Could I keep plants in a sealed sump? Lastly, and this is summarized, what kind of pumps are available for the return? I was a machinist mate in the navy so I know a fair bit about pumps in general. If it's a positive displacement pump then I run the risk of A) over flowing the tank if I lose suction... Unless it's a sealed system in which case B) I get a blockage on the intake and create a vacuum in the sealed sump which would cause it to break or damage the pump. If they're not positive displacement then if a blockage occurred I could have to worry about the pump burning out as well.

Anyways, just my thoughts. Let me know what y'all know, this isn't my area of knowledge. Thanks in advance, look forward to reading responses in the morning!

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
No reason to run a sealed sump. Just drill a hole below the water line for a siphon break. That way the will only drain to that hole. Or just buy a HOB overflow.

Lots of pumps are available, but what model you choose depends on the gph of you siphon/overflow. I like eheim and Laguna maxflo.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Really don't like the idea of drilling a hole in my tank...

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Really don't like the idea of drilling a hole in my tank...
I think what he meant was drill a, let's say 1/16" hole for the return line/pipe going back to the tank. This would break the siphon when the return pump is shut off so that water does not all return to your sump and overflow.

I also would employ union check vale - some folks are against it primary for potential failure or creating increase head, but if the pump if the pump provides sufficient GPH flow, it's a moot point, IMO.

Drilling holes in your tank is a totally different topic around plumbing :)

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
I'll look more into it but a permanent thing like drilling a hole still makes me nervous... Would a sealed sump still work though? And could I do live plants in it?

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
A sealed sump is essentially a canister filter. What would you use for the sump and how would you seal the sump? How would perform maintenance on the sump?

Look at a HOB overflow. You won't have to drill the tank, which is incredibly easy.. a few places sell kits that include everything you need to do so.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
He meant drill a hole in the return line not the tank, so that once the water level drains down to the hole it breaks the siphon and won't over flow.

I have a relatively small wet/dry that I run on my 125g and that's the route I took and even though it's small it never overflows because of the hole in the return. On my 300g I had a check valve on the return.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
A very large canister filter that I maybe can have plants in, though that question remains to be answered. It'd have a removable lid for maintenance. It'd be something I'd have to custom build though. The HOB over flow works how? Like a HOB filter that has a hole drilled in it? Sorry I'm just still trying to figure these things out. Hadn't thought of a check valve though, worth some thought.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
Just look up HOB overflows youtube or something. It is a better option.

Could you keep plants possibly one issue that jumps at me is lighting. How would you light the plants? If you just used a light shinning through say a window I think you would run in to algae issues on the glass that would block the light. Another concern could possibly be the substrate you use for the plants moving through the sump. Just throwing ideas out there...

HOB overflows are really reliable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store