Wolf fish species size/ aggression level?

YOGI BEAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Scotland
Could anyone help me out and tell me the sizes of wolf fish species and how aggressive each species is comparatively to the others? :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Red/purple/white seam get 8 inches.
Malas can get 20 inches.
Gold wolves 16 inches
Black wolves get 15 inches but larger specimens have been found.
Lac gets may 30 inches
Intermedius maybe a foot
Australis 15-17inches
Aimara 4ft
Sp iguaza ?

These are general/rough sizes. I'm sure there are bigger fish and smaller ones I think their own group.

Temperament depends always on the fish. They are generally aggressive to any smaller fish.

The smaller wolves are not as aggressive as the bigger ones but can be housed with other fish if big as the wolves.

Reactions: Chicken.Nugget

YOGI BEAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Scotland
Red/purple/white seam get 8 inches.
Malas can get 20 inches.
Gold wolves 16 inches
Black wolves get 15 inches but larger specimens have been found.
Lac gets may 30 inches
Intermedius maybe a foot
Australis 15-17inches
Aimara 4ft
Sp iguaza ?

These are general/rough sizes. I'm sure there are bigger fish and smaller ones I think their own group.

Temperament depends always on the fish. They are generally aggressive to any smaller fish.

The smaller wolves are not as aggressive as the bigger ones but can be housed with other fish if big as the wolves.
Hmm which at 20 inches or smaller is the most aggressive?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Depends on the specimen really. But if you keep them solo for awhile, any fish added will be killed

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You can keep white seam wolf and it'll be smaller than 20 inches and aggressive.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wolves lay around till its feeding time. Then become active. Some like golds are more active and swimming around. Depends on fish and just to let you know what to expect. Some people prefer a fish that's active and responds to them. Then become bored/upset at the fish. Just something to think about.

YOGI BEAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Scotland
You can keep white seam wolf and it'll be smaller than 20 inches and aggressive.
So would that be to say the white seam would be the most aggressive of them?

Is it possible to list them by order of aggression? I understand that some individual specimins May be more or less aggressive but is there a general trend as far as which species are more or less aggressive?

I've read elsewhere of three species that fit the size bill claimed to be the most aggressive (Mala,gold and black( the smaller of the two species of this common name)) and now possibly the white seam?

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The list is in order of aggression. Aimara being the most. From a post I saw earlier from you. The red/purple/white wolves would be under 12 inches and maybe something ur looking for. Out of the 3 the white seam wolf is most aggressive IMO. The others get more aggressive down the list.

As far as Malas, gold, and black wolves are concerned. The black wolf would be more aggressive b/w the 3 IMO. Some members have gold wolves here that would destroy anything you put in it but I think it maybe due to being from Argentina. I think they become more independent of groups etc....point is wolves from that area seem to be a bit more aggressive.

But look at the size of the fish and what u can house properly. I would hate to see u post it a fish in the marketplace for sale 9 months later.

Others here on the forum will have some good input like yuki, moe, Creni and DB etc. There are plenty of good people here to help.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I've only kept 3 species Mala, curupira, white seam. I've always kept my wolves in communities and out of the three the most aggressive was my mala. The least aggressive was the white seam which I kept with grow outs that were smaller than him.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The problem with red, purple, and whites will be trying groups. Others can be kept in groups as long as same size. Can be done but will need lot of work to keep from killing each other. But a member on here does 3-4 reds or purples together w/o issues. I think his/her name is indytx or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store