Sump for a 125?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Buphy --

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/300-gallon-sa-ce-community-build-thread.423425/

If you read this thread every day for 2-3 weeks, study it, become one with it, you will start to see the awesome wisdom and simplicity of a sump. You will abandon all notions of complicating the matter and see the simple beauty of a sump. And if you apply yourself with diligence and wisdom, the fish gods will smile upon your efforts and bless you with the quiet, soothing, hypnotic bliss that can only come from dual herbies and a sump.

You're not ready for this knowledge. I wasn't either when I first stumbled upon it. But the fish gods are patient with seekers of wisdom, and bless the efforts of humble neophytes like us. Go forth on the path my friend, with an open mind, humble demeanor, and utmost rigor. Don't stray from the path, and you may one day achieve the highest level of sump construction -- the awesome scaped planted sump!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/135-75-gallon-build.561470/page-3

Reactions: perdeep007

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I had something like a moment of understanding just now with the HOB overflow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but why it's so use full is because in case of A) lose of suction, the pump will push more water into the tank causing the overflow to reoverflow and restart the grav suction. B) lose of power, the water level in the tank will drop below the intake level and break the suction.

Am I getting it?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Am I getting it?
Not yet. You were "sitting in a cave" before, and the true nature of the sump was mere shadows on the wall, cast by a fire behind you that you couldn't see. Now you've been dragged out of the cave, and your seeing the sump from a new perspective, "in a new light" as it's sometimes said. Your eyes are still blurry, you're not used to seeing the sump in bright light, your eyes have never been out of the dark cave, nothing looks quite right, yet.

But, you ARE seeing things anew :) Keep looking. Your eyes will slowly adjust, and you will see the awesome truth that is the sump. Resist the urge to run back and sit in the dark cave, seeing only illusions cast on the wall by firelight. Stay out here in the sunlight, demand to see the sump, and you will when your eyes adjust to the sunlight.

You're starting to get it. When you do, it'll just all come to you at once. You'll say "OOOHHHHH!!!! It's so simple! It's brilliant!" And you'll want one in your house--really bad, too.

Here's an excerpt from an article I found for you. And a link to the article, too. Read that article, and think about it, and tonight might be the night that you come full face with....the SUMP! Good luck to you. :)

"A reef-ready, or drilled tank, is of little value to those that already have a tank up and running and don't want to break it down to have it drilled. It is for this situation that hang-on overflows were invented. They hang on the back of the aquarium and extend over into the aquarium. Hang-on overflows (see right) are less reliable and generally can handle less water flow than a "drilled" overflow. This is because overflows must fight against gravity and flow the water "over" the top of the tank rather than through a hole in the tank. Hang-on overflows use a technique called "siphoning" to move the water up and over the edge of the tank and down into the sump. As long as the siphon is maintained, there is no problem, but if the siphon is broken for any reason, then water will cease to flow into the sump and the display tank will continue to fill up until either the sump is drained or water flows over the top of the display tank." -----from http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/

Reactions: jaws7777

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Ragin, bro, I love you, but the cave references aren't helping =P however the quote was. Really reinforces that either I have a closed system or I really look into the details of drilling the tank. Normally on the bottom of tanks I see "tempered glass, do not drill".

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Dude--don't drill tempered glass--that's a no no. The whole "cave" thing is Socrates--the birth of philosophy, the dawn of Western Civilization, greatest mind humanity ever produced, the old gadfly.

Anyway.....you don't HAVE to drill the bottom of the tank. Now, this is getting really advanced, but....what you COULD do is drill your holes on the top back wall of the tank, put a lengthwise overflow box glued to the back wall of the tank. That's called a "coast-to-coast" overflow. With one of those, you can do a Beanimal style overflow--now THAT is ELITE. Silent as a graveyard, totally self-adjusting, and you don't drill the bottom of the tank.

Here's another GREAT article for you. :) http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php This guy actually has an external coast-to-coast, AND IT'S TRANSPARENT GLASS. So you can see everything inside the overflow box while he's explaining the Beanimal--that's a nice touch.

Did you read the last one I posted?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Yes, very helpful. Concern is still drilling. I accept its a reasonable thing to do but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself and idk how much it'd cost to have some one else do it. Mind you, I'm only going to be able to get the 125 after months of savings because it's going to be 1/2 off...

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
You were a machists's mate in the navy? You've seen a mill before, seen a large bit drilling a hole in metal, or facing a metal plate? I think you can handle it. It's just your mind is stopping you :) Stress :) Drill the tank, buy a quality bit, go real slow. You'll be fine.

Lookit. Add up what it's gonna cost you to buy a glass bit, an overflow box, a sump and pump, add $100 for running PVC to pipe it all up. Is that less than a canister? Might not be, it's real close with a $125.

But, if you look at the cost of a sump compared to 2-3 canisters on a big tank, you definitely come out cheaper with a sump. I figure 240 gallons on up is where you start seeing sumps on FW tanks.

Tell you what I ran into when I set up my 125, though. I bought a canister, it was too small, so I bought a second bigger one. Add all THAT up, I should have just built a sump.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I'm also learning the joys of sumps. I am about as handy as sneakers on a beach, so it's been a long process. I have the vastness of the internet in front of me and some handy friends, so slowly chugging it out.

Reactions: jaws7777

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Don't need to be handy. If you can glue PVC pipe into a fitting, you can plumb a sump. Measure, cut pipe with a saw, table saw save ya lots of time. Check for leaks.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Fortunately the previous owner paved the way for me, I just have to replumb one return which will be done tonight. I'm trying to learn all the nuances as well, for future and general knowledge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store