fishless cycle

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
how long can you let a tank run and assume its cycled. I don't really want to go buy an expensive test kit if I can just wait x amount of days/weeks and be fine to put fish in. thanks

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
6 to 8 weeks. but honestly, if not willing to do the tests, do proper diligence to do things properly. Why even keep fish? No offence but lazy and fish keeping do not go together.

Reactions: tbrown7552

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
yea, you need a test kit. and a python gravel vac--you'll use that alot, too.

Reactions: tbrown7552

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
In the oldie days, I would start a tank with everything running except no fish. I'd put food in the tank to cover the needs of a few 5 inch fish every day for 5 or so weeks and run the tank at 80-82 F.

I then added fish (juveniles) all in the 1-2 inch range, maybe a dozen. I did it that way with half a dozen tanks and never had a problem. Also, my tanks were always understocked. Maybe I was lucky.

Today, I'd probably use straight ammonia as it's cleaner and more predictable, or use a starter kit if some mature media wasn't handy.

Test kits are valuable for checking on a lot of things after you have fish, although their use is a bit less valuable IME (if you run tanks the way mentioned), if you keep a solid WC schedule and under stock your tank. That doesn't mean that test kits aren't good to have and use, but you have to be more conservative on water quality if you don't test (unless you are really experienced.) I'd still always keep a test kit handy just because it's pretty inexpensive compared to a fish.

Test kits are invaluable whenever you suspect something is wrong. Testing and determining right away can literally save fish, so it's just a good thing to have.

Last edited:

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
its not that I'm not willing to do the tests but the kit is pretty expensive (the master test kit anyways) I do have the filters I'm using for my new 180 gallon maturing on my 55 gallon which I've had going for over a year without a test kit (and I haven't lost any fish yet). however i did have petco test my water once to see if I've been doing enough maintenance and they said my water quality was good. I change 30 gallons out of my 55 every week and I haven't missed a week yet. So POPS its not that I'm lazy its just our hobby is pretty expensive and after buying a new setup I'd like to cut costs as much as possible. I have the time to wait 6-8 weeks I'm not in a hurry with this tank.

Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Been finding some really rude answers on this site recently, from specific posters; really leaves a bitter taste. Input doesn't have to be nasty to be effective.

Reactions: Robert Fling

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
I kind of have to disagree. The test kit is going to answer your questions of if the tank is cycled or not. There is no set time of when a tank cycles. You either test the water or put fish in and see if they die. I bought a API Master Test kit for 40 bucks. Well worth my money not only to see if the tank has cycled but tells me my water quality on the spot. Its a great tool to have if anything goes awry. So your option is to get one, guess, put fish in and see if they die, or run samples to your LFS.

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I understand a test kit is a good thing to have and I'll more then likely purchase one along the road of fish keeping but I'll just run the tank for a couple months and bring water to my lfs when I go into town to pay some bills, it cant hurt getting 2 birds stoned at once. Thanks for the replies fish people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store