Hiding Jag

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Are jags always hiders or is it something they grow out of I have a male about 5" who rarely leaves his flowerpot. When he's hungry he's right up to the glass once he eats right back to the flowerpot till the next day. Love the look of jags was hoping for more interaction though. If you didn't know any better you would think I had an entire tank dedicated to a 4" pictus cat.

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
If he's the only one in the tank he's probably on lurker mode. No sign of other fish could mean danger, at least thats the way your jag see's it.

He'll come around. You may want to take that flower pot out until he gets comfortable in the tank or possibly add more fish. You could add the flower pot again later when you notice him swimming freely in all areas of the tank. Could take a while, if you like jags just be patient.

numbah84

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Dither fish can sometimes help with shyness, but it's most likely just age as he gets larger his confidence will also increase. Though if you want to try dither fish (which I always enjoy) I would go with silver dollars, a school of 6-10 fish looks stunning and gives your jag a sense of safety. Since a bunch of smaller fish swimming around means no predators around in the eyes of your jag.

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
If I do remove the flowerpot is it possible I could negatively impact his development due to stress and discomfort? Thought about doing this before but held off

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Took the flowerpot out he's already exploring the tank and moving alot more colors were bleached out for a while but seem to be coming back now

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
It's like he's claiming the entire tank now where before he was just claiming the flowerpot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store