Loss of Plecos

demei88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2015
Singapore
Hi All,

Recently I had a terrible accident when my air pump was functioning out of the sudden when I was away from home. Lost 3 starlight pleco (L183), 1 royal pleco (L91), 1 blue phantom pleco (L128) and 1 yellow spotted pleco. All of them perished when I reached home. I felt so devastated and I'm so heartbroken. They're all in their junior size though and I would like to learn more before I keep them again. Anyone can share with me more details on what to look out for?

demei88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2015
Singapore
how long was ur air pump out for? I have goldies at 3-4" and my power was out for 6-10 hours and my plecos were fine.
My air pump was out for around 6 hours.. my royal pleco and blue phantom is around 4" , blue phantom 1'' and starlight plecos are around 1-1.5 cm.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Man that sucks! Did the power go out or did the air pump break.
I have magnum filters that spray the water into a rubermaid tub with a fitting to put the water back into the tank to help when that hapoens and i have not lost a fish yet. I do this because all pumps can go out and mine are on their 7th year.
Also you can get battery power airpumps for when the power goes out I hope that can help if something like that happens again.

demei88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2015
Singapore
Man that sucks! Did the power go out or did the air pump break.
I have magnum filters that spray the water into a rubermaid tub with a fitting to put the water back into the tank to help when that hapoens and i have not lost a fish yet. I do this because all pumps can go out and mine are on their 7th year.
Also you can get battery power airpumps for when the power goes out I hope that can help if something like that happens again.
The connector of the air pump was disconnected therefore the flow of the air was not delivered into the water. I was not at home so nobody notice about the air was not flowing into the filter. its heart breaking to come home with a tank full of dead fish.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Oh i did not think of that. I feel so bad for you.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
IMO, air pumps/sponge filters are the bare minimum. The oxygen only goes in one direction(up). I'm not going to argue that fish can survive on this. Having a canister or HOB add so much more. They push the oxygen down in a tank(before it goes up).

When power goes out the effects of a bubbler wears out faster then the other filters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store