The Crenicichla Vittata "alligator pike" growout thread

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Awesome! They really are putting on some nice size now.
Thanks yeah they are.... My buddy ordered 6 Atabapo IIs from aquascape... I guess their 2-3 inches sounds decent sized but really they are so much more smaller smaller than my smallest vittata.... My biggest vittata could've easily
Eaten my smallest. Even ate a rosy red I accidentally dropped in there bigger than 2 of the smaller vittatas... Somehow knew they were siblings or something lol... I'm just afraid the vittatas will eat the Atabapo IIs lol didn't realize the vittatas grew so much

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Who knows, pikes get more aggressive as they age; perhaps young pikes school as a means of defense? How ever any other species even other pikes maybe free game? Might explain what happened with sbgbuddy and his belly crawler and vinny? I hope not for the sake's of those II's.

Reactions: sbgbuddy

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Who knows, pikes get more aggressive as they age; perhaps young pikes school as a means of defense? How ever any other species even other pikes maybe free game? Might explain what happened with sbgbuddy and his belly crawler and vinny? I hope not for the sake's of those II's.
Oh I meant another buddy not my buddy caring for my vittatas. Lol. Confusing u lol. Some pikes when in a group just remain peaceful though. Seen it with Atabapo, vennies, vittata and some others. Yes young Lugubris especially like to school for protection.

Sbgbuddy case however is very diff the tiny belly crawler was IMO I think of it dropped in like a feeder and its size is really like snack sized compared to the size of the vennie and lent. 3.5 inches is not a very big size for a pike haha

sbgbuddy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Riverview MI
Oh I meant another buddy not my buddy caring for my vittatas. Lol. Confusing u lol. Some pikes when in a group just remain peaceful though. Seen it with Atabapo, vennies, vittata and some others. Yes young Lugubris especially like to school for protection.

Sbgbuddy case however is very diff the tiny belly crawler was IMO I think of it dropped in like a feeder and its size is really like snack sized compared to the size of the vennie and lent. 3.5 inches is not a very big size for a pike haha
He was closer to 5" so I thought he might be ok. But your absolutely correct. I defiantly did not help in the way I added him to the tank.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I love the red eyes on those guys. What's the plan for them? Are you keeping all of them, or are you going to sell off a few?

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I love the red eyes on those guys. What's the plan for them? Are you keeping all of them, or are you going to sell off a few?
Thanks they're very beautiful pikes. I already sold off 3 of the smaller ones and I kept the 3 biggest ones. However when they become mature I'll have to see about buying or trading them around to get m/f pairs

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan

This is the latest pic of my Vittata. Color has changed to the yellow.The white sand has been washing my fish out a little, but the white sand with the black background I am loving. How is your trio?
They're doing great better than ever. The biggest is around 4" or so and getting thick! I can't see your picture for some reason... Would love to see some tho I'll try to get some pics or a video posted soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store