New Jersey
That's great news, glad it worked out.

QuErorZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
turkey
Yes , it did Tom.

Now, i gotta ask you something else. I really don't think it is a disease but i want to check. On some fishes' body, on their body where fins come out or below their head & gills there is a pinkish tint. Not red. Just very little pinkiness. They don't look as green as a Largemouth Bass should be. Reminds you of any kind of disease?

I photoshopped this picture. Look at the one below. Little exaggerated though.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/Querorz/Seining 040_zpstimaeynf.jpg

Last edited:

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It's difficult to say. The one of the things that could cause something like that in the early stages is hemorrhagic or bacterial septicemia. I'm not saying that's what that is so don't panic but keep an eye on it and if you think it's getting worse we'll address it. Triple sulfa is very effective against it. One thing you can do is keep the water very clean and give them good diet.

esshup

Feeder Fish
Jan 27, 2016
Hi guys, newbie here, so be gentle. I had a tank when I was growing up, but now only deal with fish in outdoor ponds (bigger ones than just ornamental ponds) but have done some dabbling in RAS systems.

My first question is that from my research, flukes are common, but they don't manifest themselves unless the fish are stressed or overcrowded. Is that a correct statement? If so, in the previous 4 pages, I don't see where the stressors were identified.

Could poor water quality or "new tank" syndrome be a contributor to the problem, or the root cause of the problem? Could high levels of ammonia be causing the secondary symptoms?

MeHallman

Feeder Fish
Feb 14, 2021
Original poster said in the first sentence, “I have these fish for 2 months now”. So the fishes immune system would be weak/ stressed from shipment. That plus. More stress while acclimatizing to new environment, water parameters, lighting schedule, etc. etc.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the things to consider with a pond, are bird feces (or even other animals ) being carriers of parasites.
Anything that can eat a fish, may carry the parasite in its gut, and drop it into a pond, miles away from where the phage has been picked up.
a virus, a protozoan, whatever
and....
Because all my fish are locally wild caught, and usually brought to me within hours of capture at least 50% arrived with some sort of blood sucking thing attached, that in nature is only a minor irritant, but in the context of a closed system, like a tank, or pond becomes much worse as it multiplies, and constantly reinfects the same fish over and over becoming lethal.
2CFDD461-A2C1-4AC0-8336-CB399A0DD1EB_1_201_a.jpeg
E7F52E10-5243-4318-9475-E2EFC03C75B5_1_201_a.jpeg
Lernae (anchor worm) above.
D0610BFC-127D-47DD-BB63-89CA0D7F1F72_1_201_a.jpeg
Some burying protozoal parasite like ick above.
Both were prevented in spreading by bringing the salinity to at least 3 ppt
Raising he salinity was done by adding 3 lbs of salt per 100 gallons.
Although larval Lernea were compromised by salt, the adult Lernea laughed it off, (unaffected by salinity) so needed to be physically removed.

9C2B0F82-C7FF-42FE-8620-7FFBFEAD3032_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Original poster said in the first sentence, “I have these fish for 2 months now”. So the fishes immune system would be weak/ stressed from shipment. That plus. More stress while acclimatizing to new environment, water parameters, lighting schedule, etc. etc.
Welcome aboard

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store