Overflow for 150

Stormey

Feeder Fish
Sep 20, 2015
Hello all ive been reading through tons of forums and havent been able to find much on what to put in my over flow boxes before it reaches my sump. Im fairly new to sumps been afraid of them after my sad attempt to a diy overflow. But thanks to my amazing wife she bought me a 150 predrilled! Which is pretty small compared to the tanks ive been reading about here.

I thought about puttiing bioballs in with the overflow but I found a post saying that they would get nasty.if I put filter floss over top im afraid itll get clogged. Also the tank alsocame with two pipes that connect to the bulkheads inside the overflow box. Are these necessary or useless ( when connected they are about 2 inches shorter than overflow box)

I know im new and probably asking a previously asked question but I have been reading hundrerds of the posts in here.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice on this. The new guy.

matthew8706

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2015
The pieces are necessary most likely for operating level of overflow, also I wouldn't run anything in the overflow I don't on my c2c some sort of a small prefilled would be beneficial

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I never like anything in the overflows (boxes or other) because if clogged, the entire tank can overflow onto the floor.
My preference is to put any mechanical, or biological media in the sump itself.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The pipes in your overflow are most like the drain pipes Or drain pipe and a return. They are very much needed.

If you are using a sump, I should not need to put any mechanical filtration in the overflow and can have that in the sump, assuming you are set up for that.

There are a lot of threads on plumbing the overflow. Herbie or Bean Animal are the ones people implement if possible.

Do some reading and ask more questions...get a design you want to go for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store