custom metal stand by jsodwi

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Just wanted to show off and thank Jsodwi for the stand he built me. I needed a stand to hold my two 225 gallon tanks. The tanks are about 72 inches by 42 inches by 18 (this is off the top of my head). I wanted a stand that could be easily removed from the room if needed. The stand can be pulled apart and bots together. its a sick stand

trying to show bolts

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Nice stand man. Unless the bolt holes have a welded pipe be careful with water getting in. Should not be a big issue but something to be careful of.

Looks good.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I guess the stand is in two sections so it will fit thru a door? Looks plenty strong.

One thought came to mind and may not be needed. I see how the sections slide together and that there is a smaller bit that inserts into the female opening on the right in the pictures. I see the bolt heads that secures the two sections. Cannot tell from the pictures if there may be any flex where the two sections join. If there is any up- down movement at all, consider a small verticle brace between the bolts. By that I mean a short length of metal, maybe angle iron, with holes drilled to match where the bolt heads already are. This might give some extra verticle support in the center of the stand. Maybe four short ones from the bottom rail to the lowest shelf or even two long ones on the outside ends from the bottom to both shelf level with two short ones bracing the lowest shelf. Could use the existing bolts if they are long enough.

Good luck

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Hello; I guess the stand is in two sections so it will fit thru a door? Looks plenty strong.

One thought came to mind and may not be needed. I see how the sections slide together and that there is a smaller bit that inserts into the female opening on the right in the pictures. I see the bolt heads that secures the two sections. Cannot tell from the pictures if there may be any flex where the two sections join. If there is any up- down movement at all, consider a small verticle brace between the bolts. By that I mean a short length of metal, maybe angle iron, with holes drilled to match where the bolt heads already are. This might give some extra verticle support in the center of the stand. Maybe four short ones from the bottom rail to the lowest shelf or even two long ones on the outside ends from the bottom to both shelf level with two short ones bracing the lowest shelf. Could use the existing bolts if they are long enough.

Good luck
Good observation. I was thinking the same thing as I was building it but there shouldn't be any flex at all. The smaller tubing is 12" long and is welded tight to the top and then drilled and plug welded where it slides in. I couldn't gusset the braces by welding because for sure they would have warped and then a Bowing problem would have occured. With 3/4" plywood going on top and being under 250g tanks, I'm not concerned at all. And the bolts have something ridiculous like 2500lb+ shear weight pressure.
I'm a metalworker by trade so building something that can hold an immense amount of weight is not a problem. But please continue to comment and voice your input as when I build stands for people I am only one set of eyes. So different perspectives on things definatly helps once in a while
Thanks guys

Jwcollect

Gambusia
Feb 17, 2017
Hi,

I'm new here but was recommended by someone from the Cyphos forum. Do you build metal aquarium stands? I ordered a 125Gallon 6' tank and if you build stands i'd like to get a quote. The tank is 72 x 18 but i'd like the stand to be 721/2" x 181/2", make sense? I would like mitered corners and supports on top to be 1' apart. Please let me know. Where in NY are you located?

thank you

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Hi,

I'm new here but was recommended by someone from the Cyphos forum. Do you build metal aquarium stands? I ordered a 125Gallon 6' tank and if you build stands i'd like to get a quote. The tank is 72 x 18 but i'd like the stand to be 721/2" x 181/2", make sense? I would like mitered corners and supports on top to be 1' apart. Please let me know. Where in NY are you located?

thank you
Shoot me an email since your new and can't PM yet. I can build whatever you want and have done a ton of stands for the Tri state area
Jsodwi@hotmail.com

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Wow that is sick.

Looking forward to seeing pics with the tanks in place

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Good observation. I was thinking the same thing as I was building it but there shouldn't be any flex at all. The smaller tubing is 12" long and is welded tight to the top and then drilled and plug welded where it slides in. I couldn't gusset the braces by welding because for sure they would have warped and then a Bowing problem would have occured. With 3/4" plywood going on top and being under 250g tanks, I'm not concerned at all. And the bolts have something ridiculous like 2500lb+ shear weight pressure.
I'm a metalworker by trade so building something that can hold an immense amount of weight is not a problem. But please continue to comment and voice your input as when I build stands for people I am only one set of eyes. So different perspectives on things definatly helps once in a while
Thanks guys
Stellar work. I really enjoy seeing your stands. Congrats Charney Charney please do post pics with the tanks on as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store