Just got a new tank (stocking ideas)

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Hey guys so I just picked up a 40g breeder thanks to the $1 per gallon sale. So I am looking for some ideas on what to put in it. I want something aggressive, at least food aggressive but being aggressive in general would be good to. I am ok with only having a single fish in the tank. I am looking for fish that will not outgrow the tank, or ones that will outgrow it but only very slowly so that I have plenty of time to work on getting the tank they will move into.

I already have a Red Wolffish and Hujeta Gars, so of course I am looking for something different from them.

I was thinking something along the lines of a smaller Piranha (would upgrade to bigger tank eventually) or maybe a Gulper Catfish. I am open to all suggestions!

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
40 breeder? Nothing monster comes to mind...that's fairly small...maybe a school of Buenos Aires Tetras? Like 10-12? Aggressive? Maybe a Red Devil? Not much out there that would be "large"...Red Jewel cichlids are more on the aggressive side, as are Salvini and most African riftlake cichlids....for the money and the fun, many/small is better than single/large....especially for a breeder tank....now if it were a show tank...different story.

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
40 breeder? Nothing monster comes to mind...that's fairly small...maybe a school of Buenos Aires Tetras? Like 10-12? Aggressive? Maybe a Red Devil? Not much out there that would be "large"...Red Jewel cichlids are more on the aggressive side, as are Salvini and most African riftlake cichlids....for the money and the fun, many/small is better than single/large....especially for a breeder tank....now if it were a show tank...different story.
Thanks for the post! What do you mean if it were a show tank if you dont mind me asking? Im not breeding anything in it, I just said breeder to mention what the footprint would be. Thanks again!

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
A male convict with some dithers and if you are lucky it will grow a hump and look like a miniature midas cichlid!

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
there's a lot of cool things you can do with a 40g breeder. It's a great size for gulpers, you could do a planted show tank with a pair of betta macrostoma, or a smaller species of cichlid. Not sure about piranhas I don't have experience with them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store