Planning a Koi Pond

Koilito

Feeder Fish
Sep 27, 2015
Hello all,

I am in the research & planning stages for building a 750-1,000 gallon koi pond outside of Houston, TX.

First, anything I should know specifically about building a pond in Texas (I've seen threads of water overheating and algae blooms from too much direct sunlight)?
I plan on using a 45 ml liner. It looks like I will need to cement in a bottom drain. Will I need anything else besides the drain and waterfall for recirculating a pond of my size? What type of aeration will my pond need, aside from a fountain/waterfall? Will a skimmer be a good idea? Leaves can be an issue.. Also, can I scale down DIY filter set ups into smaller buckets for a pond of my size? I think I want to go with gravel and bio filters. A window would be awesome (I plan on building it 1'6"-2' above ground, with a depth of 4') but I haven't had much luck researching them besides finding out that ill need some type of metal framing and an acrylic of unknown thickness.
Any help/input for my future pond would be greatly appreciated!

Cichlasomniac

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2014
Woodstock, Ontario,Canada
Hello all,

I am in the research & planning stages for building a 750-1,000 gallon koi pond outside of Houston, TX.

First, anything I should know specifically about building a pond in Texas (I've seen threads of water overheating and algae blooms from too much direct sunlight)?
I plan on using a 45 ml liner. It looks like I will need to cement in a bottom drain. Will I need anything else besides the drain and waterfall for recirculating a pond of my size? What type of aeration will my pond need, aside from a fountain/waterfall? Will a skimmer be a good idea? Leaves can be an issue.. Also, can I scale down DIY filter set ups into smaller buckets for a pond of my size? I think I want to go with gravel and bio filters. A window would be awesome (I plan on building it 1'6"-2' above ground, with a depth of 4') but I haven't had much luck researching them besides finding out that ill need some type of metal framing and an acrylic of unknown thickness.
A skimmer IS a great idea. Drain at bottom and gravity fed. Pump can send water through pvc to huge rain barrels filled with media (plastic pot scrubbers work well and cheap), some filter foam and a water fall for aeration and gas exchange.

Cichlasomniac

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2014
Woodstock, Ontario,Canada
Hello all,

brucedixon01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2015
united states

viper1103

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
OK here's a question I live in Ohio and it gets super cold is a pond that has a deep end at 5' to deep

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store