Natural pool

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
They want to segregate the fish because the clients wife is squeamish about swimming with fish. What I ment when asking about space for 8 fish is will they fight in the enclosure and if so how big will it need to be to stop this happening? I also have worries about cane toads as North Queensland has loads of them but I was told that they can't access pools without there being a slopping bank. Is this true?
No. It just means that they can't get out.

Reactions: twcp

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Being FNQ (Far North Queensland) it's probably warm enough most of the year for them to survive - but guppies here are a pest fish, and we certainly don't want oscars becoming such as well, if they get an unusually rainy wet season (not unheard of). Instead of guppies, why not utilize the native Rainbow fish? Do the same job, but more colourful, get to about 2-3", school, and native.

As for fish - archerfish could be kept there, jungle perch, barramundi etc. Lots of natives. :)

daimurph

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Wales
Being FNQ (Far North Queensland) it's probably warm enough most of the year for them to survive - but guppies here are a pest fish, and we certainly don't want oscars becoming such as well, if they get an unusually rainy wet season (not unheard of). Instead of guppies, why not utilize the native Rainbow fish? Do the same job, but more colourful, get to about 2-3", school, and native.

As for fish - archerfish could be kept there, jungle perch, barramundi etc. Lots of natives. :)
I'll sudgest using rainbow fish but they are set on having oscars. The house is 50m from the beach at Cape tribulation so if through some freak event the fish get washed out they'll end up in the ocean

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I mean the rainbows instead of the guppies.

Wow, so close to a beach! Lucky people! :D

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
To answer your question.. I would say it depends on how long they would be in that holding area. If its just several hours a day, IMO something as small as 30-40 gals would probably work.... unless there is aggression because of the cramped space. In which case I would probably apply normal tank/space considerations... give them 70-100 gals or more.

Duane had a good thought.. if you created a dark overhang retreat for them I bet they would flee to it themselves with no training once people start jumping in and would probably stay until the pool calmed back down.

Or even better, suggest training the wife to not be so squeamish. Introduce her to a Taipan or Brown snake.. she'll have no problems with fish after that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store