making your own power

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
Has anyone on here thought of or tried to make your own power off of the tanks like solar panels under the lights or maybe a small water generator on the outlet tube of the filter. maybe just to power the lights or something or even the whole tank just was a thought maybe it can be done. I would think it would be pretty easy to make it so it powers the lights because of the LEDs nowadays and maybe when it goes off it might help power something else. I'm not an electrical engineer at all so I don't even know if it's feasible. Any thoughts ideas or anything would be nice.

Reactions: Shrimp haven

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'd love to be able to rig some type of separate power source to run my tanks but I wouldn't know where to start.

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
I had saw on Amazon a micro hydro generator the generated like 10 watts I figured if you put that on the outlet of a canister filter or return line it may generate a LED light. The generator cost less than $10

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I actually wanted to look into somar panels to power the entire household but that does not seem feasible at this time...There was a guy who was thrown in jail a few days ago because he had one of those wind turbines set up on his property.I'm still not sure what he did wrong but they made him take it down.....on his property.

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
I've got a wind turbine at my house but it's not enough to run the room with the fish. Its grid tied and maybe his was too and he had it in a area he wasn't supposed to. I don't know. People can be weird with that kinda stuff.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
He looked like he might have been a bit of a cook.The thing was almost right up against his house if that matters.They also ordered him to rip out the foundation that the thing was situated on.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I read online about a guy that diy'd a water turbine that was powered by a small stream on his property. Could you not just make a smaller version of that and put it on the output of the tank and use your pump to power it, which could then provide the power for something, depending on how much power it produced.

Reactions: boldtogether

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I actually wanted to look into somar panels to power the entire household but that does not seem feasible at this time...There was a guy who was thrown in jail a few days ago because he had one of those wind turbines set up on his property.I'm still not sure what he did wrong but they made him take it down.....on his property.
he showed independence, the gov. doesn't like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store