Channa Aurantimaculata - Cloudy eyes

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hello guys,

I've been experiencing a weird situation this week, with my Aurantis' eyes going a little cloudy... Both of them, at the same time, both eyes, and NONE of the other fishes have had anything like that...

It's slight, it doesn't seem to bother them, the only change in behavior I noticed was a little less activity, but that has affected all my fishes, and I assume it is because of the temp drop (about five degrees in a couple of months, they run on no heater), which is at 20°C (68°F but since the US can't own sneakeheads...) currently.

Here are pictures, I hope they render OK, that's a 4000x4000 picture with just the eye taken out of it xD

Eyes1.png
Eyes2.png

I cannot give my parameters as when I tried to check for them, I realized my kit was out of date, as it showed the same results (everything in the bad) for tank water, tap water and even bottled water...

So I did a 50% water change just to be sure.

Any idea?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If you didn't do or change anything then I wouldn't worry much, water temp is low though, you should keep it at 25C (76F~78F).

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
If you didn't do or change anything then I wouldn't worry much,
I added plants. That is all that has changed.

water temp is low though, you should keep it at 25C (76F~78F).
Beg you pardon?
October, sub-tropical species, 25°C?
I am pretty certain that would be a mistake. ;)

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
What your seeing is completely normal and very common with subtropical channa. At this time of year they begin digging more especially at night in preparation for their winter season which in nature is also the dry season. In the wild they dig out holes over a meter deep that retain water and give them a place to live for the winter when the rivers/floodplain drys up.

They bump and scrape their eyes while digging and it turns them grey which is harmless and heals quickly although it may not seem that way because they'll bump them regularly until they feel they'd dug down deep enough lol

As for temps , 25 is too warm outside of the summer months . 20c is right where they should be if not lower at this time of year, both my adults and juvies are already down to 17-18c as a daytime high at this time of year.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
What your seeing is completely normal and very common with subtropical channa. At this time of year they begin digging more especially at night in preparation for their winter season which in nature is also the dry season. In the wild they dig out holes over a meter deep that retain water and give them a place to live for the winter when the rivers/floodplain drys up.

They bump and scrape their eyes while digging and it turns them grey which is harmless and heals quickly although it may not seem that way because they'll bump them regularly until they feel they'd dug down deep enough lol

As for temps , 25 is too warm outside of the summer months . 20c is right where they should be if not lower at this time of year, both my adults and juvies are already down to 17-18c as a daytime high at this time of year.

Hope that helps!
Hey DC, glad you chimed in, i was hoping for you to do so! ;)

I feel much better knowing it is normal, i was already planning on getting home late to get test kits! I need to get new ones, but it ca' wait this weekend ;)

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
I'm sure it's just scrapes minor damage to the eye. My old pair used to give each other cloudy eye through the usual dominance scuffles and when the larger of the 2 was digging up the gravel. Just keep an eye on it.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I added plants. That is all that has changed.

Beg you pardon?
October, sub-tropical species, 25°C?
I am pretty certain that would be a mistake. ;)
hehehe my bad, I was thinking of different species >.<

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store