Has any one tried or thought of this.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Good point I knew about breaking the siphon but I imagine some people get caught on it. Also I don't know why I never even thought about the over flow inside the tank as both of ours are. The splashing is it more of a noise consern or a mess issue. On our 240 there is a grate so to speak about 2 inches down from the top of the over flow and that system is vey quiet. We also have Bio Balls in the overflow but they would ruin the look of the waterfall idea. A person could however replace them with lava rock for the same purpose.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Interesting idea. But defenetly very loud one.
I like sound of water fall, but my wife hate it :( :p

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
It really should not be any louder than a typical over flow. Glass is actually a good sound barrier wich any one who has ever lost their back window can tell you. A lid on the over flow would help make it quieter I think.
I definately have to find this swt up and look it over or build a scaled down version and test it all out.

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
The entire back side of my tank does have an overflow box on it but its only a couple of inches deep so it doesn't really give that waterfall effect that you are talking about. Then there is a second overflow box ,that only spans half of my tank, where four pvc pipes siphon water into it and then drop the water down three pipes into the sump. It doesn't even really create the effect on a small scale though since the floor in my apartment is uneven enough that the water just overflows on one side of the tank. It would be interesting to see one where the water overflows the back and falls a farther distance.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I am kind of wondering now if you would need a high flow return pump to get the desired effect. A low to moderate flow may just give the effect of the water just trickling over the glass. On our 240 with the grate on it the effect is more of a heavy rain. Which works good for soaking the bio balls but does not look like a water fall.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
What is the benefit of modifying your tank to do that when you can just line up several HOBs in the back to achieve similar effect. Instead of having one continuous water fall, you will have several discrete water falls next to one another. Why waste the entire 2 inch space in the back of the tank to experiment with an untried system.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I was only looking at it as a background. However as I think this over it might increase aeration to your water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store