Suggestions to improve my tank??

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
Hello,
I have just recently decided to convert my standard fish tank to a true Monster Tank, except for its size (55gal) what should I do or change to make it more suitable for these type of fish?

As I mentioned its only a 55 but my fish are all very young and small. I know I'll need a much larger set up within a year or so. I am planning on a custom floor tank build, but to keep it realistic for the moment I just need to improve it so these guys can be happy until I upgrade.

What lives in it now... 1 x 4" Silver Aro, 2 x 6" Severums, 1 x 5" Fire Eel, 1 x 4" Bichir, 1 x 4" Ghost Knife, 1 X 3" Angel, 1 x 6" Pleco, 1 x tiny Banjo Cat and 2 x feeder Goldfish that were not eaten and just live there now...

Equipment... Just a 75gal Marineland tank back filter and a power head to add some movement to the water.

It currently has sand mixed with reg aqua rock, I dislike the look very much and plan to change it to a course sand but smaller than reg aqua rocks. You can see everything else like the air (one in the power head and one in a small difuser under the right hand stump) and fake plant decor. As far as decor I'm planning a simple driftwood and a rock or two and some floating plants for the Aro to hang out in.

My questions are...

What should I do as far as filtration for this tank and in prep for something around 200-250gal as a step up?

How long will this small tank last with these fish and an added small Gar and another Bichir?

What substrate is best for these types of fish?

And will I ever see the Banjo Cat or Ghost Knife again...lol?

Heres a pic of the current setup, again I don't like the fake look of the plants and gravel and am planning there eviction... It is before the other fish were added and the Angles have been removed, but its just for a peek at what it looks like.

Thanks in advance for the "helpful" suggestions.

TANK.jpg

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
That tank will only last a few months at best. The silver arrowana will grow really fast and once it reaches the 7" mark will need a larger tank.

Also I would plan on a larger tank than 250g, a silver arrowana can grow 36"+.....abd at that size the severum, angels, banjo cat and ghost knife will be food.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
The 250 will only be until I can build my indoor pond/floor tank whatever you'd call it.
I am thinking about approx 6-8' x 4'x 4'. And including a ray or two , but 5hats down the road a year or two max. Sounds like it may be sooner than I planned. I'm ok with that :)

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
Also I'm planning to paint the back of the tank black...What type of paint should be used.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
I am currently looking for some type of design to place on the back before painting... A nice big Monsterfishkeepers "M" logo would be pretty sweet... anybody here making tank back decals of this yet??? a tan or silver logo with colored horns and tail followed by black paint would look soooo good...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store