L shaped plywood tank build

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
so it seems west systems has black pigment. that's what I was looking for so I will prob try to grab that up I guess.

JoshBalshaw

Feeder Fish
Sep 22, 2015
I'm interested how the water stays inside, like I can't work out what you would the next step would be as I'm thinking on upgrading my tank, and if it's easy enough I could build my own

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I'm interested how the water stays inside, like I can't work out what you would the next step would be as I'm thinking on upgrading my tank, and if it's easy enough I could build my own
the tank is sealed with epoxy to keep the water in. I wouldn't say it was too hard, but I wouldn't say it was easy or cheap either. I mostly did this project because at the time I started building i had specific requirements (large foot print that wouldn't take up too much space in an apartment). it was quite a bit of work and took a while to get it finished. i could have purchased a bigger tank for about the same price, probably less, if i didn't need specific dimensions. also i like that i don't feel like I'm accidentally going to drop a rock through the bottom when I'm rearranging the décor in it

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I painted the inside a dark tan color, don't know if I like it, might just spary some black overtop, we'll see. I bought a tank to tear down and use for the windows, it was a 5' long*20" high so plenty of glass to work with. Glass is 3/8" I believe. Had some trouble cutting it. We scored it and everything tried to tap it down the score line but when we flexed it to break it the crack ran off track at the end. Maybe we did something wrong. Decided we will just bring it in to a glass place to get it cut by a pro. While I wait to get that done I thought I would play around with some poplar branches I plan to decorate the tank with. Not completely settled with an arrangement but this is one possibility.
Love that pic

Reactions: jamntoast

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
thx convict360, I was really pumped for that wood in the tank. I might try to find some new branchy pieces like that. I got scared because I couldn't find a consensus if poplar would be safe for in the aquarium or not, so I decided not to use it. looked real nice though

Freemananana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2015
Florida
This is awesome. Do you think you could have gotten away with more depth? I'm not talking height, but back to front space. I have something similar planned, but wanted about 24" of width (I guess?). I just wanted your opinion on that idea since your build is so similar.

Glad to see it held up. I think fiber glassing the corners and possibly more top bracing could have gone to prevent that slow leak. It may have just flexed too much for the epoxy to handle.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
This is awesome. Do you think you could have gotten away with more depth? I'm not talking height, but back to front space. I have something similar planned, but wanted about 24" of width (I guess?). I just wanted your opinion on that idea since your build is so similar.

Glad to see it held up. I think fiber glassing the corners and possibly more top bracing could have gone to prevent that slow leak. It may have just flexed too much for the epoxy to handle.
totally could have made it deeper front to back, and it would have been cool. that's what I like about building with plywood is that you could really make any design fairly simply. i think i did fiberglass the corners and the top panel is screwed into the walls so it is essentially braced at the top. i really don't know why it leaked. but once its resealed it will be twice as thick in most places so it should do the job this time

Freemananana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2015
Florida
I was also contemplating the idea of using actual glass on the ends too. Did you think about that at all? I'm sure it had to have crossed your mind.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I was also contemplating the idea of using actual glass on the ends too. Did you think about that at all? I'm sure it had to have crossed your mind.
yea I thought about it. it didn't work for where I was putting it but it would work fine, and would actually be cool because there is a big blind spot in the middle where the two arms meet. with the window at the end you would be able to see into that blind spot

Freemananana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2015
Florida
Excellent! I see you're using a canister though. I'm trying to figure out a way to setup a sump. I guess I'll make a thread after I finish some 3D imaging and start getting some more input. This thread is awesome though. Definitely glad I found it and you are still running the tank.

Reactions: jamntoast
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store