Post all your SHOVEL NOSE CATS HERE!!!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Ok, I'' play. wednesday13 wednesday13 , your turn :)

100_6063.JPG 100_6064.JPG 100_6065.JPG 100_6066.JPG Crocateus.JPG Genas 1.JPG Genas 2.JPG Genas 3.JPG Genik.jpg Hoover 3.jpg Jo and Terroristo.jpg Pirat and Crocateus.jpg Sorubims 1.JPG Sorubims 2.JPG Sorubims 3.JPG Sorubims 4.JPG Terroristo 2.jpg Terroristo and group.jpg Terrosto 1.jpg Yudee 1.jpg

horopgedrik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2015
Bumi Arema

View attachment 1143766 View attachment 1143767 View attachment 1143768 View attachment 1143769
What is the exact species for that fish (1st-4th picture)? Beautiful looking catfish! Looks like hybrid beetwen Pseudoplatystoma sp. and Leiarius sp. to me.

View attachment 1143770 View attachment 1143776 View attachment 1143777
Is that Pseudoplatystoma reticulatum?
Thanks.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What is the exact species for that fish (1st-4th picture)? Beautiful looking catfish! Looks like hybrid beetwen Pseudoplatystoma sp. and Leiarius sp. to me.
Good eye. Father is supposedly Leiarius marmoratus. Mother is supposedly P. fasciatum.

Is that Pseudoplatystoma reticulatum?
I'd think so but Wednesday13 teaches that the pattern is not always reliable or rather unreliable? He says the way to distinguish is by the shape of the snout, dorsal view. Have you seen Wednesday13's hand drawing of fasciatum vs. tigrinum vs. reticulatum snout profile? His TSN experience vastly supersedes mine.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If you don't mind me asking again about your specimen.
Is that P. reticulatum on first picture?
And the 2nd and 3rd picture, are they P. fasciatum? or P. punctifer?

Very nice catfishes by the way!
I wonder how old is your ripsaw catfish, it looks pretty big!!! dang
Thanks! I think all three TSN are fasciatum, again going on the stripe pattern alone. I wonder what wednesday13 wednesday13 thinks.

I believe you can forget about punctifer. I'm not aware of any keepers. Same for others - orinicoense, metaense, magdaleniatum. Also see my post #31, page 4 in this stickie http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/tsn-id-chart-pseudoplatystoma.322161/page-4

I'm only aware of the 4 TSN spp people have. Perhaps 99% of all TSN spp sold are fasciatum, then reticulatum and tigrinum, and I've only ever seen two corruscans here on MFK and nowhere else.

That ripsaw is ~6 years old, 3'. I recently rescued another 3'-er but 25 years old. It sat for 20 last years in a 6'x2'x2' and average ammonia of 0.25-0.5 ppm, again, over the years.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
downloadfile-5.jpeg
this guy looks like my retic ;) .... ive learned of a couple farms puttin out hybrids for food production so the debate is almost endless now lol... and i think u got me beat over there TBTH, everyones lookin most exellent! that leixfaci is a show stopper :). i appreciate all the praise my friend, just been lucky enough 2 aquire some diff sp. over the years and view em side by side enough to see a difference lol... my monsters ate/tore through their 1400 gal liner recently so been embarassed to post my ghetto blaster temp pool their in now haha... ill try and get some decent shots of my guys up here...

horopgedrik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2015
Bumi Arema
Good eye. Father is supposedly Leiarius marmoratus. Mother is supposedly P. fasciatum.

I'd think so but Wednesday13 teaches that the pattern is not always reliable or rather unreliable? He says the way to distinguish is by the shape of the snout, dorsal view. Have you seen Wednesday13's hand drawing of fasciatum vs. tigrinum vs. reticulatum snout profile? His TSN experience vastly supersedes mine.
First I saw it at first glance, I thought it was the real-rare Perrunichtys perruno in adult form (by its characteristic feature of body shape and fin), but when I saw its body spot, I was convinced that must be a hybrid, something between shovelnose and achara, but it still very beautiful-bizzare-rare looking catfish by the way. I never see that catfish at LFS here, in fact this is the first time I saw it.

Not yet know about that hand drawing, willing to see it and learn from his experiences on shovelnose identification.
About your P. reticulatum-supposed fish, I also judge by its body pattern at first, about density of the pattern. But thing that puzzles me more, is comparison table of Pseudoplatystoma morphological, made by BUITRAGO-SUÁREZ and BURR on their journal "Taxonomy of the catfish genus Pseudoplatystoma Bleeker (Siluriformes: Pimelodidae) with recognition of eight species" table 9, page 35th.

On that table, they told that P. reticulatum shouldn't have "pale vertical bar", but photo of dead P. reticulatum specimen at figure 18, page 17th, clearly has "pale vertical bar" (just like yours, and many many other P. reticulatum-supposed that I've ever seen too)
So what is actually BUITRAGO-SUÁREZ and BURR mean on "pale vertical bar"?
Because I assume it means vertical-white line pattern on body.
And I just want to know whether some of your collections are actually P. reticulatum, or P. fasciatum instead (because it clearly has "pale vertical bar").
So it makes everything clear for me that the pattern can't be use as distinction between reticulatum and fasciatum.

Yap, couldn't agree more with you, perhaps most of all shovelnose sold here recently, was P. fasciatum. Even just for truly P. tigrinum, or P. reticulatum, are quite rare here, and P. corruscans is considered as the holy grail of shovelnose catfish here.

Whatttt??? 25 years old niger? dang... But lucky for her still survive, and already get decent place now.

horopgedrik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2015
Bumi Arema
View attachment 1144643
this guy looks like my retic ;) .... ive learned of a couple farms puttin out hybrids for food production so the debate is almost endless now lol... and i think u got me beat over there TBTH, everyones lookin most exellent! that leixfaci is a show stopper :). i appreciate all the praise my friend, just been lucky enough 2 aquire some diff sp. over the years and view em side by side enough to see a difference lol... my monsters ate/tore through their 1400 gal liner recently so been embarassed to post my ghetto blaster temp pool their in now haha... ill try and get some decent shots of my guys up here...
Is your P. reticulatum also has pale vertical bar on its body?
Because on your previous pics (TSN ID thread), I can't see view from the side of your P. reticulatum.
Can't wait to see recent pic of your shovelnose collections by the way :)
Willing to see the difference between each species clearly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store