My pack of Pleuro's (pic's)

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Finally got around to taking some pics of my pleuros! I received these guys as very small juvies 2.5" give or take. They are now roughly 6" and entering another growth spurt. They are now living with several species of bichir, rope fish & syno cats . They have started to color up , so far one is blue , one is green , one is somewhere between green and blue and the 4 the is gold. Sorry for the poor quality pics , all I have to take them with is my cell but it's better then nothing!

Reactions: N9t6

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Damn Devon, they look amazing!

When I started my tank about 2 years ago, I decided to go for pleuros... Needless to say I still haven't found a single one to date. :(

I'll keep drooling over your instead until I can put my hand on 5 of them :p

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Pleuros are lovely fish :)

I used to have my pleuros wtih four 8" synodontus euruptus, but i found them dead with huge chunks missing from their body. My pleuros were 10" at the time this happened.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Thanks everyone , it took me 5-6 years to finally find pleuros . I assume that's due to their fragile nature when young. I actually ordered 15 of them. Lost 1/3 in transit and the rest dropped off one by one over the first week or so. I could find no explanation as to why they died they were healthy looking , eating in a heavily planted tank with perfect water parameters but still had a terrible survival rate. I know 2 other people who had the same results or worse without the added shipping stress that mine had .

As for tank mates it's synodontus euruptus in with mine as well , they may get relocated into the RTG or FRT tanks later if the pleuros stop playing nice.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
So that's what a person gets to look forward if he was to order 30 small guys(2.5" to 3")? High death rate from shipping stress and some casualties afterwards? Thanks as the helps me make an important decision as I will let a lfs take the risk and not me.

So how many survived out of 15?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
4 out of 15! I knew from researching it that they had a very high mortality rate when small that's why I ordered 15 thinking id loose a few due to shipping but I was not expecting such terrible results . It was very disappointing and made for an expensive 4 fish!

Even the others I know who have taken them home from local shops without shipping had similar results just random sudden deaths on seemingly healthy fish.

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
I can attest to this. Out of my 16 Juv (3inch) pleuros, i had 6 make it to 8 inches.

I then had a pair form from the 6 and they killed the other 4 pleuros in the tank.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Thought it was time for an update , they are devoloping nicely ! The dominate male is really starting to color up ! The others turn color on and off depending on mood lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store