Anyone ever used a Rocket Filter?

LUCYD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
I am looking at my filtration options and saw the Rocket Filter on AquaBid. Couldn't find any reviews. Need to do something! My boyfriend suggested he could build a sand trap filter.... would that help solve a messy Oscar problem? Opinions?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
You have a couple of options depending on your filtration.

Sump filtration
If you have a sump, filter socks on the drain hoses from the tank into the sump is the way to go.

Canister/hob filtration.
Add a aqueon110 with double sponges to just filter mechanical debris.

I wouldnt really recommend a sand trap as they are generally really hard to clean and its usually a pain as it will overflow sand till its at a equilibrium with the flow getting the tank messy and possibly damaging pumps having sand in them. But they do work.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I am looking at my filtration options and saw the Rocket Filter on AquaBid. Couldn't find any reviews. Need to do something! My boyfriend suggested he could build a sand trap filter.... would that help solve a messy Oscar problem? Opinions?
Is the stock only 1 Oscar? you could handle that with a couple HOB filters and a powerhead.

LUCYD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Actually two smallish Oscars in a 55 gal. With six small tinfoil barbs. Yeah, I'll have to upgrade or adopt out the barbs:(

DBLN8

Dovii
MFK Member
You'll have to adopt out the Tinfoil's and an Oscar, if upgrading the 55 is out of the question. A 6' 125 would be the minimum size for 2 adult Oscars.
I've never heard of a Rocket filter (no input on that). Oscars are big messy fish and require a lot of filtration and and big water changes. A sump is always a good bet, big canister filters (Fluvals or Eheims) expensive but good, The Filstar XPXL is a great filter approx $180. Aquaclear 110's are great HOB filters but you would require a few of them with Oscars.

With Oscars you can never have too much filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store