Black nasty help

Southjerseycichlidz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
Looking into getting a black nasty but can't really find a lot of info. Would one be good in a 75 gallon ?? I know there aggressive what else should I know before getting one
Thanks in advance

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I would say it could live solo in a 75. However fish that can exceed 10" are better suited in a 6' tank imho.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Yes they can live for a while in a 75g but will eventually need a upgrade. I kept my pair in a 75 until my male was 12" and my female was 6".

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 75 gal would only work for a while, maybe 1 year, but in the end they would need a 6ft tank(as others have said). My male easily hit 15", and the female about 11", and the pair maxed out a 150 gal tank in the photo below.

Nandopsis haitiensus are not your average cichlid, the waters they come from usually range in the high 80'sF to low 90s'F (read Hispaniola Oh Island in the Sun, The Dominican Republic by Alf Stalsberg) http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=55, and because they are the only cichlid endemic to their island, trying to keep them in a community with other cichlids, 9 times out of 10 ends up badly. I have raised hundreds, but lost my first 19 not adhering to their special needs. Once I learned (the hard way) they are durable fabulous species to keep.

They need very clean water, so lots of water changes need to be part of your routine. And because they are omnivores, I found a diet rich in algae based foods produced good results. They seem to be prone to bacterial infections when too much meat based food is given, especially if temps are not high enough to aid in digestion.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Ya I had just asked about these guys too apparently other fish stress them out and they will die. Very neet looking fish I hope I can get some of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store