What's Killing My Black Neon Tetras?

Michael Scott

Feeder Fish
Oct 5, 2015
I introduced 15 black neon tetras from two different sources, into a newly cycled tank over a period of 10 days, not all at once; along with three striped Raphael catfish. All appeared to be thriving; eating well, no marks, bumps, discolorations, bloating etc. They were placed into a 125 gallon tank that had been set up with live plants, driftwood, and sand substrate for about three weeks.

It was cycled without fish, adding only fish food to create ammonia, and live bacteria to accelerate the process. The tank is filtered with a Fluval 406 that had been seeded with biologics from established tanks, as well as an aqua-clear 110 HOB.

At this writing ammonia levels are at 0.5, with nitrates and nitrites at 0ppm. GH is at 75, and chlorine, is at 0ppm; KH is 80 and Ph is 7.0.

Because the tank may be at the end of its cycle I've been doing 10-15% water changes nightly for the last three days to relieve any discomfort due to possible ammonia spikes, something I've always done.

Excel was added to the water at the proper dose.

The catfish are doing fine, but the tetras have died at the rate of several a day, and there are only four left, with four having died last night. Curiously, perhaps because the tank is big and moderately planted, I've only been able to find three bodies since the die-off began. Perhaps the catfish ate them. The only symptom I have observed is a fish will separate from the school and appear to be distressed, by wobbling. Again, there are no marks on the body, and no gasping at the surface. I only observed this symptom on one occasion.

I'm an experienced fish-keeper, or at least I thought I was, and I expect fish loss as a result of introductions to new tanks, but never, ever, have I experienced this level of mortality, then again I have never used tetras as introductees to a new tank. Naturally I researched the dreaded Neon Tetra Disease, but the fish are exhibiting zero symptoms. They are fine at lights out and gone at lights on in the morning. I've checked and double checked filter intakes, and etc., and cannot see any way they can get trapped, inhaled, or otherwise killed.

The bottom line: I intend to stock this tank with Discus in a few weeks, but this die off has me worried, and I don't quite to know what to do next. I don't want to break this tank down, throw everything out, and start again. Advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Michael Scott

Feeder Fish
Oct 5, 2015
Note: I added Excel for the plants. While my water is not chlorinated I always use Stress Coat when doing anything with my tank water.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It's the ammonia. You'll lose fish like tetras quickly in the presence of ammonia and nitrites, from my experience. Personally I'd be looking at stuff like seachem stability to try and firefight it, to cycle properly there needs to be ammonia, so the water changes are kind of delaying the inevitable.

See if you can get more established filter media, will help you a tonne

Michael Scott

Feeder Fish
Oct 5, 2015
It's the ammonia. You'll lose fish like tetras quickly in the presence of ammonia and nitrites, from my experience. Personally I'd be looking at stuff like seachem stability to try and firefight it, to cycle properly there needs to be ammonia, so the water changes are kind of delaying the inevitable.

See if you can get more established filter media, will help you a tonne
Thanks so much. I just bought some Seachem Prime and dosed the tank. Ammonia is now down to 0PPM, but I don't know how that will benefit the cycle as you mention. Thanks much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store