Native Plants

the_moori_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Michigan
I collected some interesting native plants I found in a stream and would like to use them in a tank with some dwarf cichlids. I have read that some medications kill plants so I am hesitant to use them but I don't have any better ideas. Does anybody happen to know what would be a good way to treat these plants to make sure that they don't have any diseases? Thanks for any ideas!

Reactions: xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Two things come to mind. First I have collected some native plants and had difficulty getting them to make the transition into an aquarium. Not sure why but have suspected it has something to do with going from natural sunlight to artifical light.

The other is what you ask. I became concerned about introducing disease, parasites and such. I have read of dipping plants in a clorox soulution. I know two things about this from a recent adventure. After test filling a 55 gallon tank I put some clorox, around three ounces, in the water as a disinfectant. After letting it run with bubblers and an HBO for several days I put in some plants. The clorox had persisted. It killed one type of plant and not others. The dwarf saggitaria (sp) died after being in the water for a couple of days. The crypts and java fern have survived. The key being that I cannot reccomend a concentration or a soak time. Other members have posted using a dip of 60 seconds.

As you have wild collected plants, why not try some various levels of concentration and soak times?

One note. I had put some rams horn snails in the cloroxed 55. I had thought they died but now am not so sure. They looked dead but may have only been stuned. I got some de-tox chemicals to treat the water. I put some more rams horn snails in after adding the de-tox chemical. I later noted that the ones thought dead were gone from the places where they rested and that there seemed to be more snails about. I am afraid i did not keep a count so cannot be sure. At any rate it may be best to put the collected plants in a QT for a time and not directly into a tank you plan to keep as a setup.

Reactions: the_moori_man

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Give them a bleach dip, use 1/50 bleach dip pour 3 buckets of water, all the same temp. the first bucket gets the bleach solution soak the plants for 1-2 mins, then take them out and let as much water drip off as possible, then put them into the second bucket with only clean water for 3 mins, then to the third bucket with clean water and de-chlorinator and soak for 5 minutes then the plants should be ready to go into the tank.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I'm always on the look out for live plants during the summer when I go fishing, I've located narrow leaf anacharis, lots of hornwart, lots of duckweed lol, and just last summer I found a pond with a huge supply of cabomba which I plan to quite a bit of next season.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store