using stainless steel for a monster build? is it dumb?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; How about a small test build. Glass panel in a small stainless frame. That way you could find out about adhesives and such. Short term issues would be apparent.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Some of the worlds most corrosive chemicals are stored in stainless tanks.
Hell, make the whole thing stainless, cut a window opening, bolt the window in place and fill'er up!!!!
Man what I would make if I could TIG stainless....

Reactions: dragonfish1ca

Iron Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
I'm a welder myself an this idea has crossed my mind a few times. Food grade would be excellent and if you had a thought of any erosion, you could scuff it an roll on a coat of pond liner or any other suitable liner.(might be able to find a clear colored liner if you wanted the stainless look) At that point it wouldn't have to be food grade or even stainless for the matter, as long as a liner is applied.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
So this is just a thought on my end, but have any of you heard of a product called Plasti Dip? If not just youtube it and you will see what I am talking about. In this situation it could prove very useful. If you are worried about the stainless steel leeching anything into the water if it makes contact with the water then why not coat the stainless frame with plasti dip? It's a sprayable, water proof, durable, and removable coating. People spray their cars with it, I've used it as a background for an aquarium, I used it to make the pvc for my plumbing in my tank black instead of white. It doesn't leech any chemicals once dry and it peels right off. Add enough coats and the steel would be waterproofed. Then there would be no corrosion at all. It's actually pretty cool stuff, and you could make it whatever color you wanted. Like I said I know it's not gonna be harmful to the fish, as it's inside my tank currently, and it just peels right off if you don't want it there anymore..I just figured I would share what I knew about a possible solution to the problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store