Large water change???

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Like others have stated, 80%-90% is fine as long as temp is close and chorine/chloramine is neutralized. However, you are wanting to do this big wc because of debris being stirred up. This is an indication that your mechanical filtration and/or water turn over rate is lacking. Adequate mechanical filtration and water turn over rate will clear up floating debris within an hour.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Unless you are keeping your fish in bare bottom tank, no matter how much water turn over or mechanical filtration you have, debris will still get trapped underneath rock and circulation dead spots. Mechanical filtration is more useful in removing suspended solids than to remove settled solids. I am already changing filter pads twice a week so I rely more on WC to remove settled solids so as not to overload my filters.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Unless you are keeping your fish in bare bottom tank, no matter how much water turn over or mechanical filtration you have, debris will still get trapped underneath rock and circulation dead spots. Mechanical filtration is more useful in removing suspended solids than to remove settled solids. I am already changing filter pads twice a week so I rely more on WC to remove settled solids so as not to overload my filters.
OP is complaining about water cloudiness which means suspended debris which means adequate mechanical filtration should easily rectify

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Yeah if you can match water temps and dose with a conditioner it's fine, its basically down to that. If you can't match the temp you're at greater risk of changing the temperature drastically which you'd ideally want to avoid
I totally agree. A few (3-6) degrees difference won't matter. If they are already accustomed to a 50% water change an 80-90% will be taken in stride. I have a friend who does 100% change with straight tap water every day on his discus and they thrive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store